THIS SUCKS! BIG TIME!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
Just saw the ads in my threads. Now who is the idiot that placed an ad for another board maker in my sub-forum? And on top of that it is for a maker on etsy, just another amateur who can't afford eBay or to set out on their own. Kind of like placing an ad for XYZ knife maker on ABC's sub-forum. I don't mind a little competition but this is absurd! If the maker wants their own sub-forum and can pay for it, them have at it but to infringe on my paid for sub-forum with ads from an amateur maker makes no sense.

I am Pi@@#%!

That didn't take long! They seem to be gone, for now.

Clicking the little triangle in the bottom of the post generates a report of the post to the entire team- that's the best way to address something like this in the future.

Wasn't aware of the triangle.

Are you saying it was spam?

I can understand the reaction as well. I seem to recall that when the transfer in ownership occurred, it was indicated that adds would not be added to the site. But it seems like ads are displayed only when viewing the site when not logged in. I also assume that the ads displayed are targeted to the individual based on his/her browsing history, searches etc. So the add for the other board maker may not be displayed to everyone that visits your subforum.

I can understand the reaction as well. I seem to recall that when the transfer in ownership occurred, it was indicated that adds would not be added to the site. But it seems like ads are displayed only when viewing the site when not logged in. I also assume that the ads displayed are targeted to the individual based on his/her browsing history, searches etc. So the add for the other board maker may not be displayed to everyone that visits your subforum.

Just logged out, looked at the thread and saw ads for Siemens, a site selling aids for getting up and down stairs and one other selling something or other. So if a visitor is searching for cutting boards on the internet, ends up here on my sub-forum, as a lot seem to do, then sees an ad for a rank amateur selling their brand of boards, isn't that ad highly misleading giving the visitor the impression that maker is somehow related to me?

Are you sure it's not adware on your computer that is generating the ads? I've never seen an advertisement on this forum.

I just log out on firefox and turned off all adblocks and yeah there is an ad there for cutting boards. It's seems to be ads from google so it'll track the words on that page and show a related ad there.

Damn it shows up everywhere! Like the post above.

I'm seeing it to when I'm not logged in only. Never happened before today. Dave, Austin please help stop this quickly.

I don't ever remember seeing adds when I was browsing the forums before I joined in December so I'm thinking it's pretty new.

I just updated the app, and there are adds where there were none before.

The ap update from TapaTalk is scheduled at the end of the month. Ads will change up then.

I started showing ads to guest. I appreciate what you guys are saying as it came as a surprise.

How do you feel this negatively impacts you? You are still advertising, you are still getting exposure, nothing in the terms of advertising has changed.

I am willing to discuss this. I don't want anyone upset.

As always, if you have any questions please feel free to send me an email or pm.

How do you feel this negatively impacts you? You are still advertising, you are still getting exposure, nothing in the terms of advertising has changed.

I am willing to discuss this. I don't want anyone upset.

As always, if you have any questions please feel free to send me an email or pm.

You can very easily see how this negatively effects their businessses. Take a look and read the threads about this. Its a pretty basic concept I think anyone would understand.

I have them turned off.

It was not meant as a disruption and I apologize.

Lets be real about this, when I pay for the sub-forum and then see a "guest" who is visiting the forum is being fed ads for another maker, in this instance an etsy amateur, it makes it look as though I am assocoiated with that maker in some way, shape or form. For the knife guys to see ads for competitive makers and importers, that is so very wrong on so very many ways. BTW Simply having a "guest" see those ads and not the general membership looks like something was trying to be hidden.

As for me, I have given this a lot of thought over the past two days. Actually I have been comfined to the bed with a stomach bug of some sorts which gave me a lot of time to think. SInce my subscription is up for renemal, I wil not renew and you can go ahead and remove the sub-forum in its entirety.

Austin just turned off the ads, see his post above yours.

I feel your decision is a bit rash. Maybe think it over a bit more? Closing your subforum would be a real loss for this community.

Nooo don't do that! Terrible decision. Everyone lets boycott boardsmith if he decides not to come back!!!!

If you're gonna be unreasonable then I can be unreasonable too!

Threatening eachother doesnt do the situation any good so lets stop that.

Nooo don't do that! Terrible decision. Everyone lets boycott boardsmith if he decides not to come back!!!!
Sorry but this is stupid.

David is a grown up enough to make his own decisions. While we might like them or not, let's try to respect them at least.

I wasn't being serious, I'm going to order one of his boards reguardless of what happens. I was just trying to get him to realize he's being unreasonable.

I'm on contact through pm now.

I really hope he just missed my numerous public apologies. I was asking how it impacted as I was genuinely curious on his thoughts.

Again guys, I'm sorry. Nothing I have done was meant as am attack or a disruption.

I'm hoping so. I have been told he will let me know Monday his final decision.

Yup I hope he stays too. It just won't be the same without him.

I'm definitely on board in hoping that Dave decides to stay. He's been foundational as part of this community. Moreover, I hope that a suitable solution is found not only for Dave, but all the vendors. It's such an integral part to how this forum functions.

I hope he stays also! It is because of his sub-forum that I even knew of him and bought one of his boards. I was going to buy one some one else until I discovered his forum!

We love ya and you know you can't live without us!:D

Back