Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Iceland

Hi from Iceland

Hello everyone. I decided to register, though I have been following the forum for awhile. I first came here when I decided to learn how to properly sharpen my Japanese knives. I purchased two Kiya knives from Takashimaya in Tokyo about ten years ago, when I was living in Japan. I was always rather tentative about using them, since I could not properly sharpen them. I moved to Iceland about six years ago, and there are no services or people that I know of that I trusted to sharpen them, so I decided to learn myself. I also felt it was it was ridiculous to have nice knives and be hesitant to use them because I might dull them!
    Those first knives were a 150mm left-handed usuba from their standard range and a beautiful 130mm western petty that is in their Umeji range...a handmade knife. http://www.ameyokonet.jp/kiya/item_d...1-130-03-23-41
    Since then, I started to learn sharpening by watching Jon Broida's videos and buying Murray Carter's instructional video. I have since bought a few knives from Maxim (he is just around the corner in Denmark!), and have been extremely pleased with them. The knives I now use the most are the Umeji petty, and two Kato knives -- a 210mm workhorse gyuto and a 180mm Kikuryu Western petty. I couldn't be happier with them, and though I have no need for any more knives, I clearly can't get enough!
    I am attaching a picture of the two Katos...please forgive the polish on the top Kato, before I knew enough, I tried to polish it directly on a hakka, and while that was great for the higher areas, the convex grind of the knife left the shallow areas unpolished...I improved it a bit with finger stones, but it is still not exhibition quality (a term from my business...my main work is as a photographer and exhibition printer...)

Welcome, looking forward to some great photo's.

Beautiful knives! Welcome to KKF!

Welcome to KKF Stuart!
    Those are awesome Katos! I thing workhorse knife can't be polished… well because it's a workhorse!

Welcome.

Welcome to KKF.

Beautiful Kato's.

Welcome aboard!
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

Thank you all for the welcome!
    Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Those are awesome Katos! I thing workhorse knife can't be polished… well because it's a workhorse!
    Yes, I realized that it is better to just work with it and keep it sharp, which is not that difficult! It seems to slide through everything with a minimum of effort.

Welcome, that Petty is so pretty

Welcome.