Knife Advise

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King_Matt

Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone can help me with my knife choices, I wanted a deba 180mm, gyuto 210m and a suji 270mm

Here are my choices:

Tanaka Kurouchi Deba 180mm
Moritaka Yanagi 270mm
Kajihara Damascus 210mm Gyuto

Anyone having any reservations or advice on a better choice for any of them please?

thanks,

matt

I can't help you on the deba front, because I don't use one on a regular basis, like many of the other guys here. However, for a 210 gyuto, if you want damascus, why not go with a Tanaka Blue 2 damascus, purchased either where you were looking, or on the bay? Tanaka is a proven winner around here, and you cannot go wrong with one of Shigeki's knives. You will need to round/ease the choil and spine a bit, but the trade off is definitely worth it. The Kajihara knives have not been discussed here that I know of, but they do look impressive - I'll give them that. For all we know, they could very well be great knives.

On the 270 suji front, I'd take a good hard look at this: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...s/kochi/kochi-270mm-kurouchi-wa-sujihiki.html

Jon at JKI is a vendor here, who has fantastic products, and the Kochi line is VERY highly thought of. For not all that much more than a Moritaka, you'll be getting a surefire winner.

With most J-knives the prices raise quickly when getting longer blades. Not so much with Hiromoto: for $26 more you get the 240mm gyuto, for $48 the 270.

I can't help you on the deba front, because I don't use one on a regular basis, like many of the other guys here. However, for a 210 gyuto, if you want damascus, why not go with a Tanaka Blue 2 damascus, purchased either where you were looking, or on the bay? Tanaka is a proven winner around here, and you cannot go wrong with one of Shigeki's knives. You will need to round/ease the choil and spine a bit, but the trade off is definitely worth it. The Kajihara knives have not been discussed here that I know of, but they do look impressive - I'll give them that. For all we know, they could very well be great knives.

On the 270 suji front, I'd take a good hard look at this: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...s/kochi/kochi-270mm-kurouchi-wa-sujihiki.html

Jon at JKI is a vendor here, who has fantastic products, and the Kochi line is VERY highly thought of. For not all that much more than a Moritaka, you'll be getting a surefire winner.

+1 on everything. The tanaka might need a quick etch to reduce the reactivity a bit, but otherwise, awesome knife

Back