Quantcast
Takashima issues - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Takashima issues

Yea, I flattened the half that I kept with my dmt xxc and it's worked out really well. One of my favorite stones.

Quote Originally Posted by schanop View Post
    There was another incident similar to this, I recalled: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...-Awasedo-J-Nat

I would just mount the top one on another plate and flatten both, then we would have two stones.

I suppose gotogi layered stones might always have the possibility of doing this, but still surprising. Was the stone soaked at all, or was the environment especially dry or hot, or did the stone dry with sun on the top or something?

Can't see in the photo but is there a wooden base? Of course it's meant to stabilize and protect but in this case I'm wondering if it's what lead to the split, the attached side expanding and contracting differently than the top part? Just a guess, but personally I don't like my stones on bases if possible. (Easy enough to sharpen on a flat non-slip surface.) But your stone stone looks like it's a thin one so requires a base. If there's a next time, there are thicker Takashima available.

I'd glue it if I were you. Would still take you quite a while to get down to the glued middle part with normal wear, and when glued it should look fine again.

Quote Originally Posted by TamanegiKin View Post
    Yea, I flattened the half that I kept with my dmt xxc and it's worked out really well. One of my favorite stones.
    My half's still working out well too. BTW, thanks again!
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

+ Reply to Thread