Quantcast
Sharpening Tiny Knives
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sharpening Tiny Knives

Sharpening Tiny Knives

I have a Hayashi Dojo 80mm paring knife and have never been able to get a screaming edge on this thing.

I am sure it is my technique because the small size of this knife makes it difficult to hold, set the angle, make a stroke, etc.

Is this a common problem with very small knives or am I doing something wrong?

rules.....i have had some problems with smaller knives in the past......i know what you mean.....practice makes perfect as stupid as it sounds....i don't remember ever hearing about the dojo knives being hard to sharpen.....i think u might ust have to work on your form when sharpening......maybe others can give some advice who own that knife.....ryan

I don't know what to say to help. The knife gets incredibly sharp for me.

The thing I do find a bit odd on it, is due to the short blade and depth, the handle gets up very close to the stone.

I don't know the angle I use, but I'm pretty much laying the blade down on its side and lift it a bit.

Small knives can be tricky for sure and the Dojo has that weird handle that doesn't help. I find that I do best by doing complete length back 'n forth sweeps while really focusing on angle control to be key.

The few wood carvers, that I've seen will move the stone/strop perpendicular to their body. The lay the knife on its edge and move the knife to the side. A sideways strop so to speak. It is an effective technique, meaning if I can do it, anybody with coordination should be able to do it.

Jay

Interesting technique / idea Jay, will have to try that, thanks.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread