Meat cleavers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chobint

Reaction score
Search didn't reveal much discussion on meat cleavers soo...

Ever since using my grandmother's heavy carbon cleaver, I've been on a quest to find my own. Dexter makes affordable 1.5 and 2.5 lbs cleavers, but I was appalled to find out that it was only available in 'stain free'. Does this mean that CCK and vintage are the only way to go?

there are not very many companies making carbon steel cleavers for commercial use. raw blood is highly corrosive to carbon steel and in a commercial butchering environment stainless steel knives are the way to go. Health depts. don't like to see patina.

I like this bone chopper that I got from Maxim:

_Y6_W6H7-JRye8_9PqjGd5uv9meABa5xaLR2kiFI2VE=w1358-h766-no

there are not very many companies making carbon steel cleavers for commercial use. raw blood is highly corrosive to carbon steel and in a commercial butchering environment stainless steel knives are the way to go. Health depts. don't like to see patina.

Blood is alkaline. I've never had an issue with carbon steel butchering deer, elk, moose, caribou, bear, boar, rabbit, etc. plus all the beef and pork butchered on the grandparents farm. Not to mention that carbon steel was the standard till about the late 1980s (yes they appeared earlier, but did not gain widespread use till later). My uncle who ran a small town butcher shop used carbon f. Dick till the mid 90s. Unless one is being unhygienic, you won't have an issue with carbon.

I am well aware of tcarbon steel being used for a thousand years without issue. I am talking about modern health dept policy. Many health Dept's are trying to ban carbon steel because they feel it is unsanitary. Also, if you do not wipe or take care of your knives regularly while butchering blood will indeed corrode the steel. My father worked for armour meat comp. In the 50's as a butcher and I myself butchered on the farm when I was young. My father also was a navy corpsman in Vietnam and blood will most definitely corrode stainless steel also, if Left on long enough

In Chinatown here many chefs still use carbon,if you watch food net esp. Asia in those back alleys carbon blades.I have used both stainless & a carbon CCK bone cleaver.

It is true that knife care is important,wash & dry your blades after use.

Been quite sick the last week.

The nata mentioned in the article looks interesting... but I already have a makeshift forward swept knife for hacking bones. I was hoping to move up a notch.
e1a30549-2a5e-428f-a662-b1d4cc00442e.jpg~original

If anything this would seem to confirm that quality carbon cleavers can only be had custom or vintage.

In Chinatown here many chefs still use carbon,if you watch food net esp. Asia in those back alleys carbon blades.I have used both stainless & a carbon CCK bone cleaver.

It is true that knife care is important,wash & dry your blades after use.

Which material do you prefer?

Does one want the slighly softer and more flexible steel of stainless when chopping through bones, or is carbon just as good; the Chinese seem to use carbon mostly, and have not heard about chipping issues?

Thinking of a CCK Kau Kong Chopper, so either the KF1401 (carbon) or the KF1431 (stainless).

I like the Kau Kong Chopper it is it is forward weight and does the job. Have used both the larger CCK bone cleaver and the CCK Kau Kong Chopper for banquet ginger chicken. Prefer the carbon CCK it is softer carbon perfect for bone cleavers & sharpens up well. I washed my cleavers with hot soapy water after use. I have owned a few Chinese stainless cleavers not impressed at all. I do have a good Japanese stainless veg. cleaver. Sold my big bone cleaver kept the more compact Kau Kong Chopper does not get used much since I retired but it comes in handy when I do need it can tackle anything.

Should mention too that cutting bones eg. chix thighs whether you are using stainless or carbon, the edge will take a beating after much use. Both have dents in the edge. Would have to sharpen my bone cleavers all the time that is why prefer carbon easier to sharpen & takes a better edge. Have not used a stainless Chinese cleaver for many years. Do not know if the quality is better now.

I like the Kau Kong Chopper it is it is forward weight and does the job. Have used both the larger CCK bone cleaver and the CCK Kau Kong Chopper for banquet ginger chicken. Prefer the carbon CCK it is softer carbon perfect for bone cleavers & sharpens up well. I washed my cleavers with hot soapy water after use. I have owned a few Chinese stainless cleavers not impressed at all. I do have a good Japanese stainless veg. cleaver. Sold my big bone cleaver kept the more compact Kau Kong Chopper does not get used much since I retired but it comes in handy when I do need it can tackle anything.

Thanks a lot. Which size did you have? I am thinking of getting the middle (1401) or maybe even the small one (1402) from CCK:. Should suffice in a home kitchen?

I have the medium It is not that big as bone cleavers go. I have seen the small one never used it should be fine for home use.

Back