Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: doing it wrong

i would say concentrate more on a microbevel rather than worrying about stropping but with VG-10 it sounds a lot more like a wire edge.

something similar happened to me like 8 months ago. i found that my edge was not as sharp as i wanted and it would deplete very quickly. after i found the wire edge and how to remove it, my sharpening got 10x better and i started to understand what i was really looking for with my edge quality. from there i found the tricks to be able to keep my edge for extended periods of time.

its all part of the process of learning to sharpen correctly. my first 3-4 months was just learning muscle memories for the actions needed for sharpening. after that was tweaking and learning due to the desire to get a perfect edge. the drive to get better and to get a perfect edge is what brings us all here

Part of the problem is the poly board. It doesn't matter what knife you have or how good the heat treat is. Cutting on poly for an entire shift will really abuse the edge. Try keeping it at 18* per side, going more acute is just asking for less edge retention. Or jettison the poly's and get a Sani-tuff or end-grain board
    Bert M.

Why?! Because footballs don't have wheels!

especially if you're a rocker.

thanks to all for the suggestions! im definitely still pretty new at this and i appreciate all the experienced folks here sharing info and suggestions
    i think im gonna try thinning and doing a microbevel. i was considering sending it out for a pro sharpening, but the tojiro has pretty much achieved beater status through a lot of trial and eror already. my next knife purchase is gonna get sent out straight away
    as far as durability, im not expecting miracles, but if im not going for the perfect edge than what is there to look forward to/work toward?
    re: cutting boards - does anyone bring in their own to work? in my case its an issue of having nowhere to store one where it wouldnt get thrashed by everyone else in the kitchen. and itd be a pita to carry it in and out every day(especially since i walk to work).
    also the only rock-chopping i do is the occasional few extra passes through minced herbs. buuuuut i know that my overall cutting technique plays a part in the life of an edge and im always trying to improve that as well

i keep a large boos wooden cutting board at work. i put it away when i leave and everyone else knows not to touch it while im gone

in all seriousness though, i dont think you need to bring a cutting board to work, its just that those boards you have there are a little harder on knives. i remember using those a long time ago and they were murder on my old cutlery. its not a necessity but it might help. i dont like my knives to touch plastic ever but when doing fish i have to because sometimes my wood board is not big enough and i dont like doing proteins on the wood. in an ideal world i would use a full table butchers block