Housing in Oahu?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gavination

Reaction score
Hey all,

So this is a bit of a strange off topic post, hopefully in the right place. I'm about to get real personal with y'all. :lol:

I'm a physical therapy grad student about to do my last clinical rotation at a facility in Honolulu and sadly, my housing fell through. This, of course, is stressful since it starts April 1st. I'm poking around Craigslist which is never my favorite, but I need a place to live.

I figured y'all are probably far less crazy that people on Craigslist (at least about things other than knives) so I decided to try my luck and put it out there.

So details. I'm 33, on my third career, have background checks because I'm in a doctorate program for physical therapy and work with potentially vulnerable populations (elderly and children). I throw that out there just so you know no criminal. :lol2: I spend a lot of my time outdoors and I'm looking forward to surfing in Hawaii. Obviously a knife guy or I wouldn't be here. :)

My clinical is 11 weeks long, from April 1st to June 6th. Looking for a room to rent somewhere close to the east side of Honolulu just north of H1 because I'm not sure what to do for transportation yet. If you happen to have any leads, I would greatly appreciate any kind of help because April 1st is fast approaching!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I'm pretty easy going and I clean. Sorry if this seems out there, but you never know what you'll find unless you ask.

Here's to hoping someone has a room for rent or needs a responsible grad student to housesit for 3 months! :lol:

Thanks all! Hope this is in the right place. If not, sorry mods!

Cheers.

Gavin.

Hi Gavin, I can keep my eyes and ears open, but don't know about anything right now. Craigslist usually is your best option out here. If you need more area information, send me a PM. Where will you be working?

Good luck,

Stefan

Thanks Stefan! I'll be at Rehab Hospital of the Pacific. It's one of the best rehab facilities in the Pacific Rim apparently. It would be a much more exciting opportunity if I could get my housing and transportation situation nailed down haha!

Thanks again!

Gavin.

What a small world My other half Janice was a Nurse there & finished up as a case manager before she retired.So you will be working in Nuuanu.I would go with craigslist oahu.The bus system is pretty good in Honolulu.For rentals it's almost all craigslist now.One newspaper went under as no one willing to pay 100.00+ for rental ad instead of free.

They just finished major renovations at the Hospital.You should be able to find a room to share or studio in that area.

I'll take another look! When a little while ago, there weren't many furnished studios, especially in that area. Most were farther out. I'll have to refine my Google Fu skills! :viking:

How did she like it there? I've only heard amazing things thus far.

Thanks Salty!

Gavin, when I had to go to a different city for one of my placements I asked HR at the hospital (or your placement contact at the hospital) if they would be willing to send a quick email to the hospital employees asking if anyone had a room to rent for a few months, and include your email address as your contact info. I got a response almost immediately from someone in administration. Like you said, you've had your vulnerable sector screening. So maybe give this a shot? As an added benefit you might be able to find an employee who lives fairly close to the hospital.

Another suggestion might be seeing if the hospital itself has any property holdings. Often times hospitals (here at least) have houses that they maintain for visiting healthcare providers/resident doctors for their rotations. Depending on their policy/flexibility, you might be able to get into something like that.

- Steve

You might do as spice said & post at the hospital.Also you could limit your search to Nuuanu there are plenty of listings & some are walking distance to the rehab hospital.I guess you need furnished wt. short term lease,some are flexible on the lease issue.

The Buses run on a regular basis in this area no problem.Good luck keep us posted Aloha Keith

Thanks to both of you for info and encouragement. Makes it a bit less daunting. I'll send them an email. Thanks Steve!

Back