On the bench, or what I am up to

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
I have a few thoughts that I would like to share about what is going on.
I think I have enough work to keep me going until the middle of next month, and then I will have to begin making knives for the show I have at the end of march.
So, I am also announcing that I will be taking no orders for a delivery date earlier than april 15. I am not closing down order taking entirely, just letting you know now that I am going to be busy for awhile. If you have a project in mind for me to make, I would be happy to discuss it with you.
I have several times last year promised more than I could deliver, so I am making a conscious effort to remedy that.

I also wanted to talk a bit about the Badger knife club show. held in Janesville Wisconsin, the weekend of the 30th of march. I have been doing this show for many years and it is always a good time. Early on, when I was working another job, I would take vacation time to go to this show and others. I still see it as a bit of a vacation, even though it is a sales and marketing event for me. I know that with the expansion of the internet, doing knife shows is no longer necessary, and this is the only knife show I do. I do attend other events, but they are not really knife shows in the way this one is. It entails over 1000 miles of travel and weeks to prepare for, but I still love to go. It is a way for me to keep in contact with the larger knifemaking community as well. I have old friends that I visit with at the show, and there are always new friends to meet and see.

Last year I made 21 knives to take to the show and I sold seven there. I have never had a sold out show, although there is always hope. I would like to have an equal number for the show this year. So I may have a few knives available for sale after the show. This also gives me the opportunity to try out some new ideas, handle combinations and other things that I am not free to do when I have a backlog of orders. I also get to exchange ideas with other makers, and sometimes some real cool stuff comes out of dinnertime conversations after the show.
This was just some of the stuff bouncing around in my head while I was in the shop today.
Thanks,
Del

Awesome, can't wait to see what(if any) you have left after the show. Have a blast, Gary.

My days are going better, but slower than I expected. I have 2 of the koontz spoons done, except for etching and the Damascus done for one other spoon, and another billet in progress. I also have another 7 blades of AEBL cut out, but not quite ready for heat treat. I was also working on Damascus today for one of the line knives.
Thanks,
Del

The photos don't seem to be showing up for me.

There's nothing wrong with your screen, no pics until tomorrow, ugh, I mean later today. Just got out of the shop.
Will post some pics.
I got some of the desert walnut in today. That stuff is real cool. It's definitely going on at least one knife that will be going to the show with me.
Del

So, not the best weekend I've had. Blew a brake line on the way home, it's not really much fun driving on snowy roads with no brakes. Today was ok,didn't sleep well then I woke up late and didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Came in to cook dinner (lasagna rolls) and just as I pulled them out of the oven, found out my dog had jumped the fence and was roaming the neighborhood. An hour later I wrestled him into the backseat of my wife's car and drove him home. Exhausted and cold dinner. I was planning to go back out to the shop tonight to try and make some more progress, but I'm done in.
I do have four spoons done, and two more very close. I also have the Damascus done for all the spoons, I think, the last billet still needs some more work. I am hoping to be done Wednesday, and be able to start heat treating AEBL line knives on Thursday. That's a full days work, if not more. For those who ordered spoons, expect to hear from me in the next few days.
Thanks,
Del

I noticed the other day when posting in this thread that it is my 100th thread and was wondering if I should do something to mark the occasion. So I decided to have a giveaway. I'll be giving away one of the knives I take to the Badger Knife Club show. I don't know what it will be yet, but I am hoping to take a bunch, of all of my designs. It may be a paring knife in Damascus, or it could be a line knife, or a gyuto or nakiri. I'll choose the knife when I see what I have left.
I'll do the drawing on april 1, and no its not a joke. That is just the day I'll be getting back. In the unlikely event I have a sellout, then I'll make something to give away.
I also wanted to let you know that all new orders will be subject to a slight price increase. Many of my expenses have gone up in the past two years, and I just need to level things out a bit.
I also wanted to see how many of you were taking a look at this post as well.
So the giveaway, for those of you that have one of my knives, post a pic and let everyone see what you have. For those yet to get one of my knives, let me know what style of knives are on your wishlist; gyuto, nakiri, ect.
One post per person, and I'll pic the post by its number, I'll use the first 2 numbers from the Michigan daily 4 lottery. If it happens to hit one of my posts, then I'll go with the next lowest post number.
Thanks,
Del

I'm in my wish list a Nakiri , suji , or a line knife Thanks for the chance at one of your knives Del

Two I have on hand. Have gifted a few more. Apologize for the size but I ain't puter smart.

2014-02-25 21.15.45.jpg

Pls close entries now.

Oh oh, I'm so in! Here's the parer from you, Del.

88C09FEC-8774-43B4-96AB-22560A76CAA8.jpg

7742D5F3-45A3-4BBD-8F18-FF893DAE7DE3.jpg

Photos courtesy of Lefty.

Oh I am so in, no Ealys' for me yet, but a gyuto or suji is topping the wish list currently

I'm in. I've got two parers and will take anything you have.
Probably my wish for a gyuto is strongest by a short head though....

I am in the wish list for line knife Del , had to sell my parer :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I'm in.

So far I've only been able to get in for a spoon, which I'm eagerly awaiting. The wish list at present would be a gyuto and a parer.

I'm definitely in! Will post pics of my parers when I'm back home

I'm in as well please. My wishlist was a line knife but since thats in the works how about a gyuto.

This is amazing Del. Thanks for doing this! I don't have one if your knives yet, but can't wait for one to be in the family!

My wishlist: wa suji then gyuto :D (hahaha! I know, I know, not your style, but you never know! Your wa style knives are gorgeous!) or gyuto then suji in your awesome hybrid handle style.

Del, what an amazing gesture. One of your knives is on my list of ones to add to my collection. I'm in for a gyuto or suji. Thanks again.... Come on Lotto!!!

Count me in. Own one parer (seen here with some other older American work) and gifted one as well to a friend who adores it. Thanks for doing this!

WpI2VlJ.jpg

Back