Quantcast
Hakata Santoku knives anyone?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hakata Santoku knives anyone?

Hakata Santoku knives anyone?

Just browsing though the knives at epicedge I have come across some interestingly looking knives called hakata Santoku. There are just a few of them - 4 from Yoshikane (2xSKD, 2xSLD) and 2 from Asai (these look great!). I find the design interesting - this could be a knife that can do similar work like nakiri as it should have nice chopping properties, but it still has a very usable tip.

Since I have not found particularly much on this knife design around here (or elsewhere) - I would like to ask what other think about it - is it just a 'gimmick' design or do you find it useful? Any first hand experience?

thanks

Hakata Bocho (博多包丁): all- purpose home cooking knife with a triangular nose and curved spine, it's regional variation of the Bunka Bocho or Santoku! you can find this type of knife in Fukuoka, Kyūshū region.

small parts of video show the abilty of Hakata Bocho @1:25~1:50
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

IMO, MURRAY CARTER freestyle wide Wa-Bocho is very similar profile as Hakata Bocho!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Thanks. It does seem that there are not too many Hakata Bocho users around here. I am just wondering - would you use this sort of knife also as a slicer (like normal santoku or maybe petit gyuto)? I am intrigued by this design as it could serve as both veggie chopper & normal slicer.

I've also seen these at the Epicurean Edge website, when I first came across them it was like a eureka moment, for me this shape was what I had wanted all through the years I was discovering and exploring Japanese knives.
    Initially I was a big fan of the santoku but that wore off as I found it lacked versatility, mainly due to the tip being rendered almost useless, of course that is not what it's for but as someone who is most comfortable with knives around that size it was always a design element I wished the knife had.

When I used my first kiritsuke gyuto I wished they did one that was santoku sized, and so when I saw these at epicurean edge it was great.

I had to wait to get enough money together but I managed to get the last one of the Yoshikane western handled line, I had a custom handle done on it in maroon linen micarta and it should be arriving any day, I'm really looking forward to getting it on the cutting board.

skyorbital - please do post some photos once you get your Yoshi handle job done Did you actually use the knife before having it sent for re-handling?

The thing with the tip is the reason I do not find "normal" santoku too attractive. The Hakata variation could make it (for me) a much more usable knife.

I was sent some advance photos but i can't upload them, i don't know why.

I asked for the re-handling to be done at purchase so I haven't had the knife yet, but after using almost every other Japanese knife shape available I am confident I will love this knife.

What kind of tasks do you "plan" for this knife?

Mainly for veg prep at work, but I hope it will useful for a wider range of tasks, things such as crowning tomatoes and other fruits, preparing garnishes and anything that has in the past meant using a petty or paring knife, both of which I have never liked using.

Here is a photo taken by EE, I will add more when I receive the knife.

Looks great! What kind of wood is the handle?