Quantcast
Hakata Santoku knives anyone? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hakata Santoku knives anyone?

The handle is maroon linen micarta, I opted for this material so that it would stand up better at work, I've used exotic wood handles at work before and shrinkage was a big issue that greatly diminished the quality of the fit and finish, and it felt like wasted money getting the work done to such a high standard only to have it undone through use.

I do love dramatic wood scales but I choose more carefully now with consideration to where the knife will be used, and this will be a work knife, not a home knife.

What was the reason for you to choose western handle over the wa? Simply a preference for the western type or knife weight (western is heavier and has different weight distribution) or material?

I chose the western style mostly because I prefer it, but also due to the cost.
    This Yoshikane was the cheapest of all of them so that reduced the total cost of the whole project, but it was good fortune for me because I would probably have chosen it anyway, I have used a gyuto from this line with the wa handle and know how well the steel performs.

Added to that I didn't want damascus for a knife to be used at work, you pay in part for the visual beauty with damascus and at work knives can have a hard life.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Looks great! What kind of wood is the handle?
    It looks like micarta

I have just came across the following knife: Masakage Koischi Ko-Bunka with ca 150mm blade in stainless-clad super blue:

Since the selles is located in UK it would be a viable option (the price is OK too). I have for now little idea about the performance or F&F, nor the dimensions of the blade or the weight.

So - some Feedback on Masakage would be welcome too

Zakuri makes a bunkabocho too.
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/buk-r/item/115-002/ no affiliation or knowledge of the store, just reference.

Thanks. I had Zakuri Sabaki Bocho before (which I later replaced with Itinomonn Butcher) and it was a fine knife. This one is really cheap, but the handle would definitely need a replacement

So after lot of consideration, browsing, emails and PMs I ordered the Masakage Koischi Ko-Bunka (from https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk) - it should arrive next week. I am REALLY curios about it

Once I get the hang of it a review will be due

Yes - it is a different (and smaller - 130mm cutting edge) knife than hakata this whole thread was about - it will replace the 150mm Shun petty in the role for slicing & dinner prep. This does not resolve the possible need for veggie chopper - but I realised that before getting another knife I should stop being chicken and start to use my 210mm Tanaka R2 gyuto for that purpose and only it that does not work out consider another knife. The reason I have not used the Tanaka for this purpose before was (and I somehow only realised this recently) the size of the cutting board I use for veggies (way too small) and I will be ordering a nice end grain cutting board ASAP.

Congrads looks like a good choice

The Masahage Ko-Bunka just arrived. First impressions - seems just perfect size, light and nimble, the blade has nearly 0 flex. F&F is nice, the SS kurouchi looks good and durable. It pops hair out of the box. Handle is nice too.

Give me a few days and review will follow.