A knife for terrines

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm_magic

Reaction score
I'm starting a new job, and I'll be on the cold starter section. Terrines, galantines and ballontines galore. I figure its an excuse to get a new knife, as I only really have gyutos and a CCK. I was thinking maybe a 210 petty/suji could be good, but I dunno if I want something longer/shorter. More than anything, the cuts need to be straight. When I was on my trial, the guy on the section now was getting ridden something horrid for his wonky cuts, lol. Anyone have an input for me?

Carbon is fine, budget is variable, hopefully under 300$. I'm a leftie too, so I do struggle getting straight cuts with a bias blade.

I'd go serrated. Not at all cool I know, but something Super Slicer esque would work for me.

I've never seen anyone use a serrated on terrines. I'd think it would mess up the cut/aesthetics? I don't know though

A 210 petty is a little too short for the job IMO and most tend to be really thin - which makes 'em cut great but also gives it more flex making it harder for a straight cut. I find it easier it get quick, consistent straight cuts with larger blades anyways - & not too much pressure, which will mess up the look.

If there's room on your station I'd get a 270mm suji. Maxim has a nice looking Itinomonn 270mm now but it might be a little over your budget.

For sheer budget consideration, I'd get a Victorinox 12in slicer. It's what I've seen used on terrines on most cold stations.

Would having a 270 suji be that different from a 270 gyuto? Wouldn't a serrated steer me in the cut, being a lefty? And a quick one on technique.. Should I be using one long push or pull draw, rather than a sawing motion? My first thought on the serrated was that it would mark the produce..

I have no idea about the foods you're cutting, but when I cut meat and wider vegetables; serrated knives leave striations and sawing leaves back-and-forth striations with any knife.
In my opinion you will want a non-serrated blade which will let you make the cut in one stroke. A wider knife will give you more friction and pulling on the sides, which can damage your product and slow you down. I am temped to recommend a 270 left handed fuguhiki. I think you could overcome any steering with some practice. A yanagi would be even more prone to steering I imagine. If you want to keep it more mainstream, then a 270 suji would do well too, although it wouldn't be as fine tuned to the type of slices you will be making, imo.

A sawing motion (or heavy pressure/with a dull blade) is exactly what you don't want to do. Cutting terrines is all about having a clean, even cut, so you can see the layers/ingredients. You don't want to smash it or saw it.

Think like how you'd cut sashimi - you want to start towards the heel of the knife and in one motion, slice through towards the tip. Not using too much pressure but instead letting the knife do the work.

Another carbon option would be the Misono Swedish series. If you don't mind the reactivity or dragon.. Thin but not as much flex as the laser sujis

I'd try a 270 or 300 suji. It's not as tall as a gyuto so there should be less resistance when you're cutting. Misono Swedish would be within your budget. I'd probably go for a Carbonext suji actually if I were you, they're great value and I believe you can get lefty versions for not much more

I like my masamoto ks for terrines the profile is great.

Terrines-You need a sharp thin knife.If made in a rectangle mold,I like a 270mm slicer.A damp towel on the board to wipe the blade.I have even put boiling water in a tall metal container to dip the knife.

On the cheap you can get a Forschner ham slicer 12",A good reasonable blade is the Fujiwara FKH(carbon)270mm Suji.You can get higher end carbon sugi main thing it is thin.Thin carbons razor sharp =good terrine knives.

I like my masamoto ks for terrines the profile is great.

Same thing I was thinking. Long blade, thin behind the edge but not very tall with a nice heft to it, like JDA said start at the back of the product at the heel and with light pressure pull and drop through it in one motion.

As much as I like making reasons to buy a knife, I really don't think this one is a good one. I think your gyuto will be fine.

270 Konosuke HD suji -- very thin laser although blade is flexible, I find it works great for thing like terrines or desserts that are delicate.

As much as I like making reasons to buy a knife, I really don't think this one is a good one. I think your gyuto will be fine.

I feel it's always a pretty good idea to have a slicer in your knife kit...

Not just for tasks like this where I prefer a longer, thinner blade -- and there are plenty more like portioning out meat -- but it's also going to see less board contact than a gyuto and so you can treat the edge differently. I find it easier to keep my knives sharp that way. It's nice to be able to beat up your gyuto during a shift and still have a razor sharp slicer to fall back for things like this. Even if it's just $30 for a Forschner 12in, I think almost every cook would find it useful.

what you need is one of those electric turkey knives as seen at 5:09 [video=youtube;a-D8Wzqs-xc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-D8Wzqs-xc[/video]

Last edited:
I always have 2 gyutos in my kit that way ive got a workhorse to get me through my day and something thats always razor sharp ready for any delicate tasks or specific things. Like jda said though its good to have a backup knife that isnt worked all day for those tasks.

Would having a 270 suji be that different from a 270 gyuto?..

Absolutely... Sure you could slice with a gyuto( preferably laser) but a suji is designed to slice. And if it's nice and thin, being a lefty might not matter. You definitely don't want to use a serrated knife on terrine

I dont know how you kitchen is but in mine portioning terriens with a chef knife is a big no, no. It is rare that anyone beside the sous chefs or the head butcher portions terriens. To portion all of us use 240 to 270mm suji's. One time we let a cook on GM portion and he used a gyuto when chef stoped him to ask why he was not using a slicer he said that he did not have one and was then sent home promptly for disrepescting the product. The key thing is a sharp knife kept clean between each cut, and using the entire length of the blade. If you like carbon the misono swedish (dragon) is a good knife at a good price and find them used pretty easy. Another knife that is quite thin and inexpensive is the suisin inox suji.

Masahiro has left-handed versions in their Virgin Carbon series with an inverted geometry. Ask Koki Iwahara with JCK.

Another, decent deal on a slicer is the E-15 Honsho-Kanemasa E-series Sujihiki 240mm sold at Japan Blades. The prices went up from when I bought mine so its not as good as a deal but still fairly cheap. Its a SK-4 carbon blade and its pretty thin.

I've never seen anyone use a serrated on terrines. I'd think it would mess up the cut/aesthetics? I don't know though

A 210 petty is a little too short for the job IMO and most tend to be really thin - which makes 'em cut great but also gives it more flex making it harder for a straight cut. I find it easier it get quick, consistent straight cuts with larger blades anyways - & not too much pressure, which will mess up the look.

If there's room on your station I'd get a 270mm suji. Maxim has a nice looking Itinomonn 270mm now but it might be a little over your budget.

For sheer budget consideration, I'd get a Victorinox 12in slicer. It's what I've seen used on terrines on most cold stations.

Agreed... id never take a serrated knife to something i spent so much time layering and getting to look perfect. i use this guy for terrines or similar items:
http://www.swissknifeshop.com/victo...zmap=VF47645&gclid=CMTqru7-07wCFREaOgodIHoAIQ

what you need is one of those electric turkey knives as seen at 5:09 [video=youtube;a-D8Wzqs-xc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-D8Wzqs-xc[/video]

lol... a young gordon ramsey with a cameo in that vid

I found a recipe for that dish and I want to make it. Funny to see Gordon as staff I can see where some Marco rubbed off on him. I think a 270mm - 300mm Inox sujihiki would be the ticket as it would be completely neutral to whatever you are slicing.

I worked in a 2 Michelin star where a Victorinox pastry knife was the most used knife on all terrines. I guess it avoids any downward pressure...

At the end of the day if you can do the job with a spoon, hatchet, gyuto or cleaver it shouldent matter as long as product is consistant. Ive seen chefs do all there prep with bread knives its ******* horrific to watch but there product is fine.

Latest posts

Back