Help me find a taller petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadams80120

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm looking for a taller petty/ short gyuto (about 150-165mm) to use on the line at work. I want something thin for a light, quick feel; with clearance for my knuckles when mincing shallots, fine herbs, slicing cooked chicken, basically all around workhorse. I want something with a little less length than my 180mm Misono Swedish steel gyuto, along with a little less worry about corrosion.

Washington State, USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Utility/Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Left
Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
either works
What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150-165mm
Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
It's not required, but I would like to not have to worry as much about rusting, etc.
What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$270

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
professional kitchen

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
mincing shallots, garlic, slicing chicken breast. No heavy duty boning or large projects. I want this as my line knife.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
180mm Misono Swedish. It's a little long for the line I'm on and I'm afraid of bashing the tip everywhere.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use?
I usually use a pinch grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use?(In order of most used to least used.)
Pull and Push, depending on what im cutting.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Shorter length, less reactive, easier sharpening.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
Plastic and endgrain wood only

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I would like a knife that has a special look to it to differentiate from my other cooks' Shuns and Miyabis.

I just got a Zakuri Tosagata and think it's pretty cool. 165mm, but very flat edge. There are cleaner and prettier knives, but the Zakuri seems to be a really good knife for those times when my 210mm gyuto are kinda unwieldy (in my closet kitchen, that happens often).

A knife of the same general class that might be up your alley might be the Takeo Murata funayuki on EE.

You may consider looking at more gyuto-like santoku in the 165mm range, which is a common size.

I am since longer time on a similar quest. So far I find the following types of knife may fit (disregarding the price limit and current availability)
- Funayuki from Murray Carter
- wide petty fom Shigefusa (via JNS)
- Takeo Murata Funayuki (135mm 150mm and 165mm) at EE
- Tadafusa Nashiji wide petty (only 120mm) at EE
- Take Murata wide petty (only 105mm and 120mm) at EE

The already mentioned Zakuri sounds good as well. It could be a good idea to contact Maksiim@JNS and Jon@JKI and ask for an advice.

I have yet to find more ...

Why not santoku? They are usually tall and about the right length for you… and there plenty to choose from :-\

Masakage (e.g. here for eample: cuttingedgeknives.co.uk) also offer Ko-bunka - a 150mm (??) blade slighly curved-up with kiritsuke-like tip. Looks interesting IMO. Stainless clad super-blue for very reasonable price.

many Japanese chef use thin grind Honesuki or Double-bevel Honesuki doubles as utility knife/petty. Honesuki's small k-tip(great for delicate task) & wider heel( better knuckles cleanance) works for me very well....I'm hardly use my petty any more! Check Kochi 150mm Kurouchi Honesuki from JKI

I think Pensacola Tiger is selling a 150mm stainless clad white carbon Masakagi on the BST's. It appears a bit taller than the normal 150 petty....

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I'm gonna go with the Masakage Koishi 150mm. It looks to have the shape of a small gyuto which is great, and the 63-65hrc is something that should help me with longer periods in between sharpening, no?

Honesukis are usually strongly right-biased; the OP is left-handed. I would second the idea of a santoku.

the above mentioned honesuki is actually a double bevel knife suitable for either right or left handed users

Back