Unusual Blue & Green Dyed & Stabilized Blocks

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
A package show up yesterday from K&G. When I opened the box this is what I found inside. Looked like toxic industrial waste.
001_zps7362d349.jpg

So I spent the rest of the afternoon getting them cleaned up because I knew there was some good stuff inside those crusty looking blocks.
These are the ones I have cleaned up and posted in our web store. Click on the photo if you would like to take a closer look at what is available.

Other than a few sets of scales, this is the remainder of this batch of dyed and stabilized wood. The flash from the camera makes the wood look a bit lighter than they will in person. I really like these curly blocks. When you move them around under a light the figure changes shape and changes colors from light to dark.

are those orangish bits i see in some of the blue?

When maple burl has red or orange eyes that portion resists the dye for a cool contrast.
Sometimes pieces will turn out looking like they were tie dyed.

Still 6 blocks left.

are they orange? because my favorite colors are orange and blue

I love this stuff. I know that many people shy away from dyed wood but I'd bet that a lot of them would change their mind if they could see it on a knife in person - such character. And I say that as someone who doesn't really care for loud handles. :)

are they orange? because my favorite colors are orange and blue
Yes, kind of a medium burnt orange.

I love this stuff. I know that many people shy away from dyed wood but I'd bet that a lot of them would change their mind if they could see it on a knife in person - such character. And I say that as someone who doesn't really care for loud handles. :)
Just to mess around a bit I am getting some Maple and Silky Oak done in purple.
Now that will be some obnoxious stuff.

Back