New Stock Coming At Last

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Burls

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've added some new stock to the store. Here's a shot of about 50 pieces that came back from K&G a while ago, but with the weather we've been having in the northeast I haven't been able to get up to my house to clean these up. I'm hoping to do so this weekend and have them in the store next week. The species include Chechen Burl, Amboyna (some outstanding blanks), Koa, Redwood Lace, Phillipine Ebony (a new one for me) some Quilted Maple, Maple Burl and finally the Black Nargusta Burl that I bought way too long ago.

image.jpg

What is that piece on the bottom at the very end on the right?

my guess: Amboyna
Correct. They are both Amboyna and the slab from which they were cut has generated some really nice pieces with golden colorations and loads of eyes. I'm looking forward to cleaning them up and seeing them shine.

Correct. They are both Amboyna and the slab from which they were cut has generated some really nice pieces with golden colorations and loads of eyes. I'm looking forward to cleaning them up and seeing them shine.

Me too lol ;)

Hurry up! I want to see these!:viking:
I have two feet of snow on the ground here. Do I shovel or sand? Trying to figure out how to get everything done without killing myself. I'll post of picture of whatever I've finished on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the interest everyone.

Spent the day sanding all those pieces. For those of you who are interested, when blocks come back from being stabilized they're a mess. So I start with a 30 grit paper which is the lowest I've found that doesn't clog up. After that I go to 80 then 150 and finally 220 grit. So it takes a while to get through 50 pieces. Now they get cleaned and finished with my secret, if I tell you I'll have to kill you, recipe (lol). That should all be done tomorrow so I'll start photographing Monday and adding to my site around Tuesday. Of course I'll let you all know when that's actually going to happen. Enjoy the rest of your weekends.

Here's a good sampling of what I finished and what will be going into the store tomorrow and Wednesday.

Top row is Curly Koa, next two are Phillipine Ebony followed by some amazine Amboyna, then two rows of exhibition quality Black Nargusta Burl, a row of Redwood Lace, a row of Chechen Burl and finally a row of Quilted Maple. The Maple is really hard to photograph as the chatoyance isn't really picked up, but these pieces glimmer. There are more pieces than shown here, but I wanted to keep it somewhat symmetrical.

image.jpg

Back