Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damascus paring knife

Damascus paring knife

This is the first knife I have done by myself, please be gentle guys with my fit and finish. It is 80 mm paring knife in feather pattern Damascus , with brown mallee burl handle , ebony ferrule , and brass. The blade is over 60 hrc , and ground slightly asymmetric for right handed person with big hands ( that's me!! ) I managed to cut my self once before sharpening it so it is really mine now. it weighs 64 grams , I haven't epoxied the blade to the handle yet. Depending on how much epoxy comes out I might seal the gap with beeswax. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392900687.877768.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  8.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392900710.811051.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  7.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392900725.660055.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  6.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392900740.985204.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  7.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your first knife!

How is the brass ferule holds itself in place? Glued or there's some kind of dovel?

Nice! My first knife was a parer also, just a few weeks back. What a learning experience.

I will enjoy seeing your future projects!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

TThanks , Brass holds with epoxy , there is a dowel in the handle but only covers ebony ferrule and the handle

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Nice! My first knife was a parer also, just a few weeks back. What a learning experience.

I will enjoy seeing your future projects!
    Thank you , I totally agree on learning experience side , not knowing how everything works or if you are doing right or wrong is scary. I have some other ambitious projects but I am in the middle of my busiest season and I am lacking the tools (drill driver and dsic sander so far)

Very pretty, I like the subtlety of that damascus. How thick is the handle? It looks like it'd fit snugly.

Thanks cadberry , the handle is 1.5 cm thick where ferrule ends and 1.7 cm at the thickest point.
    I have made the handle slightly oversized because of my large hands . Hope you can tell from this picture Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393173774.029312.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  6.7 KB

Man that's awesome. And feather Damascus to boot? Nothing like starting off with a bang! The handle looks like it will make a very comfortable fit, and I really like the strong taper on the ferrule.

Quote Originally Posted by marc4pt0 View Post
    Man that's awesome. And feather Damascus to boot? Nothing like starting off with a bang! The handle looks like it will make a very comfortable fit, and I really like the strong taper on the ferrule.
    Thanks, the billet was from HHH I got a while ago, I have also made a 165 mm petty from the same batch that will get the same handle that I am planning to finish within couple days

looks great! well done.