Damascus paring knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefcomesback

Reaction score
This is the first knife I have done by myself, please be gentle guys with my fit and finish. It is 80 mm paring knife in feather pattern Damascus , with brown mallee burl handle , ebony ferrule , and brass. The blade is over 60 hrc , and ground slightly asymmetric for right handed person with big hands ( that's me!! ) I managed to cut my self once before sharpening it so it is really mine now. it weighs 64 grams , I haven't epoxied the blade to the handle yet. Depending on how much epoxy comes out I might seal the gap with beeswax. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392900687.877768.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392900710.811051.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392900725.660055.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392900740.985204.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on your first knife! :knife:

How is the brass ferule holds itself in place? Glued or there's some kind of dovel?

Nice! My first knife was a parer also, just a few weeks back. What a learning experience.

I will enjoy seeing your future projects!

TThanks , Brass holds with epoxy , there is a dowel in the handle but only covers ebony ferrule and the handle

Nice! My first knife was a parer also, just a few weeks back. What a learning experience.

I will enjoy seeing your future projects!
Thank you , I totally agree on learning experience side , not knowing how everything works or if you are doing right or wrong is scary:dazed:. I have some other ambitious projects but I am in the middle of my busiest season and I am lacking the tools (drill driver and dsic sander so far)

Very pretty, I like the subtlety of that damascus. How thick is the handle? It looks like it'd fit snugly.

Thanks cadberry , the handle is 1.5 cm thick where ferrule ends and 1.7 cm at the thickest point.
I have made the handle slightly oversized because of my large hands . Hope you can tell from this picture ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393173774.029312.jpg

Man that's awesome. And feather Damascus to boot? Nothing like starting off with a bang! The handle looks like it will make a very comfortable fit, and I really like the strong taper on the ferrule.

Man that's awesome. And feather Damascus to boot? Nothing like starting off with a bang! The handle looks like it will make a very comfortable fit, and I really like the strong taper on the ferrule.

Thanks, the billet was from HHH I got a while ago, I have also made a 165 mm petty from the same batch that will get the same handle that I am planning to finish within couple days

Thanks Randy , I have used the knife for couple shifts and decided to thin the handle .I have rounded the bottom too, now it weighs 59 grams . Looking forward to finish the other Damascus , hopefully I can do something decent with it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393396789.043691.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1393396816.681869.jpg

Back