• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Len's Knife Clearout - Gyutos, Part 1

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echerub

Reaction score
As I've become clearer about my preferences when it comes to the feel and handling of different knives, I've decided that it's time to let the knives that I don't absolutely *love* to move on to new homes.

Here's my first round of gyutos. There will likely be more coming as I continue doing quick (re)evaluations of all my knives.

Prices are USD, Paypal & shipping within North America included.

Fujitake 300mm - VG1 monosteel, with saya - $375
Bought this from Sanko in San Francisco's J-Town for $500 without the saya. Very light and nimble even though it's 300mm. Western-handled. Used this one maybe 4 or 5 times. It's got grantons, which helps if you're going to let this knife do double-duty as a slicer. Only put it on the stones once to open the edge, it's essentially new.

Fujitake_gyuto.jpg

Konosuke HD 240mm kiritsuke-gyuto - $220
Keyaki octagonal handle. Put this one on the stones twice - once to open it, once to refresh the edge. It's got some characteristic "HD patina" going, but is otherwise in excellent shape.

Kono_HD_kiri-gyuto.jpg

Monzaburo 240mm white 2 honyaki - single-bevel, with saya - $550
Ebony octagonal handle. Original listing on A-Frames: http://yhst-27988581933240.stores.y...gyuto-240mm-honyaki-knife-w-ebony-han240.html. Put on the stones once to open the edge. Has some patina on it that I can remove for you if you'd like; this knife is good as new.

Monzaburo_honyaki_gyuto_single.jpg

Monzaburo 240mm white 2 honyaki - double-bevel, with saya - $550
Ebony octagonal handle. Super thin. The very definition of a laser. Has some patina on it that I can remove for you if you'd like; this knife is good as new.

Monzaburo_honyaki_gyuto_double.jpg

Carter 240mm white 1 HG gyuto - commemorative edition - $700
1 of 10 specially made to commemorate a particular retailer's 50,000th knife sale. I don't think I put this thing to the stones even once. Used it just a few times. Good as new.

Carter_gyuto.jpg

Fowler 240mm - W2 monosteel - $325
Sharpened once to open the blade, and thinned the shoulders at that time. Very flat edge profile. There was some oxidization on the blade face during storage causing some coloration, but nothing that affects performance.

Fowler_gyuto.jpg

(Shigeki) Tanaka 240mm - blue 2, damascus - $130
Sharpened once to open the blade. Used a handful of times. Some light scuffing just above the shoulders.

Tanaka_blue_240_gyuto.jpg

(Hideyuki) Tanaka 240mm - ginsanko - $105
Sharpened once to open the blade. Used a handful of times; good as new.

Last edited:
maybe interested in the tanaka 240 blue 2 can I see pics?

I'd quite like the Konosuke. I've been waiting for one of those. Would you consider shipping to Europe?

CaV, pics coming tonight :)

Rayuela, I'm open to it. Let me know by PM where you are in Europe and we'll work out something for shipping.

i would like to see that fowler also!! forget marc ! he has too many knives to begin with :justkidding:

Tanaka ginsanko SOLD.

Photos inserted into original post - except for Fowler & Carter... I need to re-take photos for these on Saturday morning when I can use daylight. Try as I might, I can't get things to look proper with flash photography.

My mistake. In my excitement I didn't read the word kiritsuke, so for anyone who's interested in the konosuke KIRITSUKE-Gyuto, I am out of the bidding.

Carter and Fowler photos added to original post.

Carter SPF
Fowler SPF
Tanaka blue SOLD
Tanaka ginsanko SOLD

Last edited:
Carter SOLD
Fowler SOLD
Tanaka blue SOLD
Tanaka ginsanko SOLD

posting to say great picture layout. Very tight and easy to see and compare :)

I have the big brother to that Kono Kiritsuke and they are wonderful knives.

Carter SOLD - shipping today
Fowler SOLD - shipping today
Tanaka blue SOLD - shipping today
Tanaka ginsanko SOLD - shipping today

Kono HD SPF

Still available:

- Fujitake 300mm @ $375
- Monzaburo honyaki 240 single-bevel @ $550
- Monzaburo honyaki 240 dbl-bevel @ $550

Received my knife today! Thanks Len! Great price, fast shipping w/ tracking, great knife, and great guy!

If there is anything for sale by Len, he is great to do business with.

I highly recommend him!

Thanks again for the Tanaka blue!
Gonna go kill some veggies.

Mowgs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Mowgs! Glad it got to you a-ok. Have fun! :)

---

Still available...

- Fujitake 300mm @ $375
- Monzaburo honyaki 240 single-bevel @ $550
- Monzaburo honyaki 240 dbl-bevel @ $550

Someone I know in Toronto was trying out the Monzaburo gyutos and commented that they're really different from one another, and the double-bevel is really fun to use. He told me I had to put that comment up here, that it's fun to use :)

Monzaburo dbl-bevel withdrawn.

---

Still available...

Fujitake 300mm gyuto @ $375
Monzaburo honyaki 240 single-bevel gyuto @ $550

Still available...

Fujitake 300mm gyuto @ $375
Monzaburo honyaki 240 single-bevel gyuto @ $550

Back