Suggestions on stainless 180-200mm wa-petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
180-200mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Say $200-ish

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for
Acidic food prep, like tomatoes, dicing fruit

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Adding something longer than my 150mm stainless Tadatsuna

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.
Pinch

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push, slicing veges

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Not terribly important

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
End grain walnut

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
Flat profile

Thanks!

If you're going to use the petty on a cutting board i would stay away from the aritsugu. It looks to be pretty narrow and is probably better for in hand work. Something similiar to that kono would be better.

send tosho a PM see if he has something comparable or if he is expecting stock?

The 150mm Kono is also out of stock. I sent Tosho an email. I already have a 150mm Tadatsuna stainless, so I was looking for something a bit longer.

I don't have any other smaller knives aside from a Tojiro honesuki. Next biggest knife is a 210 carbon Ginga. Looking for something stainless (or semi) in between those for when I don't feel like dealing with carbon. I'm just a home cook so really I'm looking for another toy :)

Oh, and beyond the 210 I've got a 240 carbon yusuke, 240 Kochi kuro, and Fujiwara FKH 270mm carbon sujihiki. Looking for something to bridge the size gap a little.

Here's a pic of my stuff:
knives001.jpg

i own an a atype 180 petty. i use it on the board all the time. it's just like any other petty on the board. that said, i don't recommend an atype. it's not the most attractive blade since it isn't stainless and takes a gray patina.

i suppose the most obvious would be another sakai petty like a ginga/yusuke/konosuke you just need to check with the vendors. even if it's not in stock, they could probably place an order for you

Yeah, I sent Tosho an email on the Kono. I don't own a Kono so it's always cool to try something different. Thanks for your input on the atype.

Back