Pan set

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoqaVin

Reaction score
What is the best company or companies for pan sets not looking for vintage or cast iron either just a full set at a decent price since mine are getting cruddy at home and since I am not a home cook I don't know much about this whatsoever

take a peek at Westelm for some of their carbon saute pans, they have been on clearance and get rave reviews. As for pots, not sure where to go, but I picked up the Westelm ones here: Here

I have a set of stainless pots that I use, leftovers from All-Clad Emeril set.

You could also look at the Winco Pan on amazon, I have given a few of these as gifts, and use a couple at home. They are heavy, cook nicely, and last! Here

Last edited by a moderator:
Sets often come with useless sizes, much like knife sets.

What is your budget?
Are you looking for pots and pans?
Is induction capable important?

are there good non stick (teflon) pans that last?

Carbon fry pans are great for high heat applications (searing etc). They need to be seasoned and they can be fairly non stick. You don't want to use them for foods high in acidity (it will remove/damage the seasoning). de Buyer is a great option for carbon steel pans. You can often find the 3 piece set (8,10,12) for $99-115 on chef's catalog.

You would still want a stainless steel option to go with them. Tramontina makes a good low cost option.

As for Teflon... Buy an inexpensive one they all wear out no matter the cost. I like vollrath

I know that carbon pan's are good for searing and stuff like that. I just want a pan that is all around non stick etc I can always add a carbon or cast iron for searing if I would like

Swiss Diamond rocks my world for non stick. de Buyer for carbon. Only ss that I like is Viking (it only hurts once) And vintage Calphalon for sauce pans and stock pots. Hate All-Clad, Cleaning all-clad is pia.

If I was buying 2day I would go induction compatible except for SD.

If you're looking for good quality budget friendly stainless, Tramontina tri-ply is great. I picked up a set from Walmart with a few additional pieces for about $160. I did a comparison of a 12" tramontina and my mother in laws all clad and to me there wasn't such a difference between them to warrant the price difference.

I've also gotten rid of every Teflon non stick I had. They don't last, bubble and flake off into food. I did get a ceramic 12" tramontina for $12 and it's still cooking beautifully after 5 years. If it ever needs replacing, it's not a big investment.

Nothing too cheap and will last but not as expensive as all clad...I might just get one good pan and then just a cheaper set but not too cheap of different size pans

Cuisinart multiclad is good stuff at a great price point

If you're looking for good quality budget friendly stainless, Tramontina tri-ply is great. I picked up a set from Walmart with a few additional pieces for about $160. I did a comparison of a 12" tramontina and my mother in laws all clad and to me there wasn't such a difference between them to warrant the price difference.

I've also gotten rid of every Teflon non stick I had. They don't last, bubble and flake off into food. I did get a ceramic 12" tramontina for $12 and it's still cooking beautifully after 5 years. If it ever needs replacing, it's not a big investment.

I have this tramontana set and it's wonderful. All clad are built better and have a more refined finish but in all honesty don't cook any better. I've had the tra pans from Walmart for at least five years and they still look new. I don't think there is a better set for the money and they will last a lifetime was long as you don't shock them from screaming hot and then putt hem in cold water.

I have this tramontana set and it's wonderful. All clad are built better and have a more refined finish but in all honesty don't cook any better. I've had the tra pans from Walmart for at least five years and they still look new. I don't think there is a better set for the money and they will last a lifetime was long as you don't shock them from screaming hot and then putt hem in cold water.

You're right, best bang for your dollars for sure. I have turned many of my fellow military spouses onto these. They all love them and the ceramic non stick.

Great share. My sentiments exactly, except I have both Allclad and tramontina

How are those all clads worth the money?

You know what I noticed while I was shopping for some pans A lot of companies that you think are good either made in Germany or Switzerland or whatever have a small Made in China sticker or marking somewhere on the tag.

I'm a fan of All clad too. Just picked up a 5ply AC 2.5 windsor and its now my favorite pan. Perfect for an induction hob too. I've been collecting select pans for at least ten years and have maybe six AC pans, three in copper core, three in AC D5, but at the end of the day the Tra are such a screaming deal, its hard not to go there first. I also have Debuyer, Lodge, leCrusset. I don't own any non-stick pans, got away from using them years ago.

I am trying to get away from the whole non stick thing as well How are the all clad with sticking to the pan?

I was in Le Creuset outlet the other day almost got one of them since they had some on such a good deal are they worth it though or are they just the name?

Do you have the De Buyer carbon pans

Yea I've got six debuyer fry pans, a roasting pan and 11" crepe. For what thye do, i do not believe there are any substitute.

Tri-ply stainless pans will all have a similar chacteristic. the trick to those pans is to really pre-heat them on a low flame. Also a little trick I use sometimes is:

pre-heat on low, then turn flame to cooking temp
put a tablespoon of high-heat oil in pan, use paper towel and carefully wipe that oil all over the pan.
Add oil for cooking, warm five seconds, add product.

Cast Enammel is good for long cooking and braising meats but really to slow at relasing heat to be used as a skillet used for searing.

So best for searing meat is a cast iron pan (lodge type) traditional cast iron or a carbon pan?

So best for searing meat is a cast iron pan (lodge type) traditional cast iron or a carbon pan?

Both are excellent for searing meat, but carbon has the benefit of being smooth from the start (unless you buy vintage cast iron) and lighter than similar sized cast iron. Cast iron can hold heat a little better due to it's mass, which is beneficial when searing large cuts of meat. I like, and use, both but if I had room for just one, I'd go with carbon steel.

where can you get those on the bay?

Yes. Don't get hung up on the Griswold large logo vs small logo. Unless you're a collector and wish to display them (which I still don't understand) then it doesn't matter, they all cook the same. I researched this and asked questions for about 6 months before I made the investment. The only difference is the year they were made and the money you will pay. My favorite is the Piqua Ware only because it's lighter in weight but it cooks the same as the griswolds and Wagner I have. The only thing you want to make sure of is there's no pitting and it sits flat. If the seller doesn't mention it, ask them. A lot of times buyers won't take the time to ask about it so you can get a steal.

Back