First rehandle

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenMad

Reaction score
Hi guys, after knocking out a sinkbridge a few weeks ago, I decided to have a go at rehandling a cheap (real cheap) knife I had lying around in my garden shed (yep, that cheap!) :D

I cut my own scales from a piece of red iron bark (I think) that I had lying around in my wood shed and some teak which I dyed green for effect (aluminium spacer between the two). Here's a couple of work in progress shots:

Scales roughed out and starting to be glued to blade:

Handle shaped and teak dyed.

Finished product. The teak was finished with super glue and polished and the iron bark was oiled and waxed. Mosaic pin made by me :)

C&C welcome! I know the f&f is a little rough in places but it's my first effort and I learnt plenty from the experience. It actually looks a lot better in real life. I've got another one on the go already (a reprofiled chefs knife) which I know will be better :)

Cheers
Adrian

wow. as far as a western rehandle goes I believe you have nailed it.Next time try to not follow the same lines as were on the stock handle. I dont like that it dips near the choil but it looks absolutely beautiful.

Great work and keep it up. I think we have some competition on our hands here. For a first handle this is amazing!

Excellent job for the first time out. Keep up the good work.

Very nice! And the pin is awesome...I am about tired of shelling out $40 for 12" of mosaic! I gotta learn to do that.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone!

@Brad - I agree :) I followed the same shape of the original handle as I just wanted to see how I went with the actual cutting, fitting, and finishing without adding another layer of complexity. I'm hoping to personalize the next one a bit more.

@Chris - Tell me about it. The price and the lack of local availability of mosaic pins is what lead me to try making my own. It didn't work out exactly as I hoped but, again, it was a great learning experience - the next one should be better.

@Scot - cheers mate, glad you liked it!

All the positive comments encourages me to keep at it - expect to see more from me soon. :-D

Adrian

That dyed Hulk ferrule, custom mosaic pin and shape together makes for a great first rehandle. I could only image what masterpieces you could done if you use some fancy wood for your next rehandles.

Great start, don't stop!

Lucky!! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Back