Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the Cable

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I think you made the right decision. I cut out cable a long time ago, even when there were not so many options. To stay with cable these days almost makes no sense, other than convenience. Even then, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu (combined) offer that and more, at a massively lower price.
    Jason

Stupid question time. I would love to tell Verizon to take a hike but what to do about inet service? I can meet my tv needs w antenna, netflix and couple others. But unlimited data on fon is just as pricey.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Dave,

Personally I use an internet provider and pay $35 a month. I have data on my phone as well (300mb/month/$20), but I subsidize it with wifi at home and at work. From what you are typing, I'm thinking you want to run everything through your phone as a hotspot? There are unlimited data plans, and the prices are getting better out there. Shop around.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I think you made the right decision. I cut out cable a long time ago, even when there were not so many options. To stay with cable these days almost makes no sense, other than convenience. Even then, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Hulu (combined) offer that and more, at a massively lower price.
    Another thing I learned from an employee at Century Link is that the more you bundle your services the less likely you are to switch (he was a salesman and had all the stats). So that is why they push those triple-play plans with a good discount for the first 1-2 years. After that it just keeps going up and up.

But if you play two internet service providers against each other you can often keep the good discounts coming year after year. In fact, my Comcast agent recommended calling back after the discount period to 're-discount' it.

Also, never rent their cable box or modem. To get a really good modem off of Amazon will cost you $80, but if you go through them you will rent one for $8 per month excluding taxes and pay for it multiple times during your service. It's a complete rip off.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Thanks gents. Guess I never thought about isp alternatives to verizon, comcast etc. I'm going shopping.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Because my house is located a block away from a major University I just pick some student shlubs unprotected wifi. And I don't have to camp in the yard to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill13 View Post
    I think you mean you are tired of the government taxes, and the cable companies creeping rates and bad service.
    If you investigate your bill a little bit, you'll find out that most of those "federal" charges aren't taxes. They're fees the government allows the cable/phone company to charge to recoup their investment in the infrastructure. The government DOES have a role--they limit how much the provider can charge you (or your bill would be much higher.) They're additional charges from your cable company, not taxes.

My bill breakdown is about 66% paid for the actual service, 33% paid in cable company "fees" (a lot of them disguised with "federal" in the name to look like a tax), and 1% in tax.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/understand...telephone-bill
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

3.5yrs cable free and don't miss it one bit. Now I'm working on my land line and internet. I can go with an over air ISP and Ooma I have to run the numbers. Our land line/DSL is $83/mo and that's too much to pay IMO. I could recoup the Ooma in a year.

Got rid of a TV altogether about 18 months ago, very liberating experience. In most cases I could not remember in the mornings what I watched at night - and not because I was drinking Now I read more and surf the web - not rememberig where I surfed or what I ordered the previous night...

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Got rid of a TV altogether about 18 months ago, very liberating experience. In most cases I could not remember in the mornings what I watched at night - and not because I was drinking Now I read more and surf the web - not rememberig where I surfed or what I ordered the previous night...
    I'm in the same boat with Stefan, except that I got rid of TV about 9 years ago or so. The only problem I have now — no immunity to television at all. When I came somewhere with TV working, I can't stop from peering at it (no matter what they shows). Otherwise it's fine