Quantcast
Chromium oxide for strop

Thread: Chromium oxide for strop

Chromium oxide for strop

Hi all,
    I have some CrO powder and was wondering what it would be best to mix it with to form a paste suitable for applying to strops, leather balsa etc?

I ask as using the powder it's hard to get an even coverage, it's quite dusty/messy and generally seems less user friendly....

Anyone have recommendations?

Thanks in advance

I think mineral oil would work. I'd start with about a teaspoon of mineral oil and add the CrO until you get a paste you can work with. I picked a teaspoon because I don't know quickly the powder will thicken the mineral oil.

Why not turn the CrO into a spray instead?

Simply mix the powder up with some pure alcohol, put it into an atomisor (or what ever they're called) and spray it on. I got nice even coats doing it that way.

Check out Dave's blog on how it's done http://japaneseknifesharpening.blogs...felt-pads.html

You can also go the This Site Not Allowed Here.com route and mix it with a product like Lexol's Leather Conditioner which has lanolin & glycerin in it to make a semi-paste.

Cheers for the advice guys, I'll have to look and see if I can get alcohol for the spray in the uk, looks intriguing

+1 on the Lexol Leather Conditioner. When it comes to leather, there is nothing even close to Lexol.

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Cheers for the advice guys, I'll have to look and see if I can get alcohol for the spray in the uk, looks intriguing
    I got mine from ebay. It's known as Isopropanol and it absolutely stinks http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ISOPROPANOL-IP...item2a06484dec