Quantcast
Honestly - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Honestly

Updated German brew pub sounds like a pretty good idea. Especially near the airport. (If my assumptions are correct)

Quote Originally Posted by CoqaVin View Post
    Honestly how much do you need to open your own restaurant? contemplating this seriously
    the answer to this can range in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. you really need to get specific for an answer.

Where would you open it? would you rent the building or buy? how much square footage would you need? how many seats? is it prefab or are you buying/renting all the equipment from scratch? what cuisine will you be serving? how much of it can you be involved in (cooking/managing/accounting/advertising)

There is really no set amount... i'll agree with chegcomesback in that whatever you estimate is probably alot more as problems arise and there is a ton of unpredicability that comes along with it.
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

I hear ya jamster trying to save money wherever possible so it would be rented and hopefully the equipment/kitchen is in working condition already and just needs a few improvements

I hear ya jamster trying to save money wherever possible so it would be rented and hopefully the equipment/kitchen is in working condition already and just needs a few improvements
    there are arguments for many approaches, cutting corners early can really come back to bite you in the rear later on and once your operational its not very easy to just up and make changes or fixes. not that there is anything wrong with renting and using used equipment, just be smart about where you look for savings and explore all avenues before moving forward.... for instance in some areas renting might be significantly more expensive then what you'd get on a mortagage and that money is going in the owners pockets not towards a place you will eventually own
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

Believe me I am not trying to cut corners because I know that will bite you in the azz later on

Where do you get your experience from if you dont mind me asking?

Believe me I am not trying to cut corners because I know that will bite you in the azz later on

Where do you get your experience from if you dont mind me asking?
    My stepfather and his 11 siblings ran an italian family restaraunt when i was growing up... was working back there since i could reach the counter tops. worked all through high school before moving away to college. learned a ton just by being around the business for 20 years. Opened a bar and grill with 2 friends after school, worked as the chef/owner for 8 years... got to be too much for me, we were profitable but it was starting to wear on me and if i stayed longer i would have eventually started to hate cooking, so i switched careers and do IT work now and just cook at home and do some private instruction

wow good stuff

To tell you the truth though I am just getting tired of working for other people and them thinking I am a dumb ass or something really gets me frustrated more than anything

Nothing against Mexicans or anything like that but they are taking over the restaurant scene here and they think they know better than you and that's what really infuriates me they think they know all

Several young chefs have opened restos in town lately. Basic formula: Find a hip location with low rent, scrape your cash and credit together and put the bare minimum in materials and design, invest a ton of sweat equity, get help from friends and family, get great reviews, get nominated for a James Beard award.

The fact that restaurants are getting rave reviews despite having plywood bar tops and tables kinda blows my mind. But that's the trend these days.

A restaurant in my neck of the woods opened the way Salty describes. Then, after a couple years they did a kick starter campaign and made 300k in a week. Now they are about to re-open.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

+ Reply to Thread