"Cheap" KS profile

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pullox

Reaction score
Hi all,

Is there any "cheaper" options for a knife with KS profile like? And not soft steel like sabatier.

another masamoto gyuto like a hc or vg is probably about the same if i'm not wrong. you just don't get the wa handle.

Those profiles are different than the ks. The place we don't talk about has a moritaka ks buy at your own risk an ikeda that looks nice with the same profile.

Yeah, Misono has a great classic profile. I'm a fan, despite the being fairly commonplace around here.

How about the forum collaboration knife that Lefty is organizing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that's important to you, that Misono photo does reflect the situation after a few years of home use, and no special concern with avoiding some flattening by sharpening.

Just wait for a bargain on bst I love my ks its one of my favorite knives.

Richmond Ultimatum is supposed to be a KS copy. It's not quite the same, but pretty similar. I have one, and I like it well enough.

Also the Richmond Laser (in AEB-L) appears to have a similar profile. Seems to be a thinner version of the Ultimatum. I know the Ultimatum was made by Konosuke, not sure about the laser.

Richmond Ultimatum is supposed to be a KS copy. It's not quite the same, but pretty similar. I have one, and I like it well enough.

I don't agree with this. I've used a reground, but, to my knowledge, not reprofiled Ultimatum and it wasn't close to the KS I used to own. The Misono Carbon 240 also doesn't look similar to the KS.

One thing that makes the KS unique and different, but not better IMHO, is the fact that it's significantly longer than most 240s. Because of this, its flat profile is actually exaggerated, in my experience compared to other knives, because the flat area is significantly longer than other knives - a 240 KS generally measures over 250 mm.

I don't agree with this. I've used a reground, but, to my knowledge, not reprofiled Ultimatum and it wasn't close to the KS I used to own. The Misono Carbon 240 also doesn't look similar to the KS.

One thing that makes the KS unique and different, but not better IMHO, is the fact that it's significantly longer than most 240s. Because of this, its flat profile is actually exaggerated, in my experience compared to other knives, because the flat area is significantly longer than other knives - a 240 KS generally measures over 250 mm.

The profile must have been "improved" on the one you handled, as the unaltered Ultimatum I had was a virtual clone of the Masamoto profile, and actually fit the Masamoto saya better than the KS. The geometry was a different story, though.

Well....

Last night they broke into my place and stole some equipment. Computers, speakers, the cash machine... They also took the global, I guess they felt curious about the shinny knife. Also damage on doors and windows. The exchange rate here is pretty harsh and is not free for people to buy foreing currency.

So I guess no new knives for now :S

Had a 240 KS and a 240 Misono Dragon at the same time, the blade profile definitely is not the same. I found the KS to be flatter... In fact, it was too flat for me, so I sold it.

Isn't there a flat version of Sakai Yusuke? Maybe that is similar to the KS profile?!

Isn't there a flat version of Sakai Yusuke? Maybe that is similar to the KS profile?!

Yes, those profiles are very similar but I wouldn't call the SY "cheap," and more to the point, the KS-like Yusuke is almost impossible to get one's hands on these days. There is a long waiting list and as soon as they come out they all get snapped up.

There's nothing exactly like a KS except a KS (or HS). The most unique part of the design isn't actually the flatness, but the pointiness of the tip. Misono is the closest I've seen in anything significantly less expensive than the Masamoto. Profiles can be easily flattened. Tips are harder to change.

That said, if you want a Masamoto, get a Masamoto. Otherwise, settle for something different but similar.

You can change a tip. I've done it and seen it done. If you want a pointier tip, grind down the spine. It may affect the flex of the knife, but it wont change the edge geometry.

However, if you grind down the edge of a knife to make the edge profile flatter, you'll definitely change the geometry of the knife along the edge, and you'll have thin the knife along the entire edge to keep the original geometry.

Nonetheless, I agree. If someone wants a KS, they should just get a KS.

You can change a tip. I've done it and seen it done. If you want a pointier tip, grind down the spine. It may affect the flex of the knife, but it wont change the edge geometry.

However, if you grind down the edge of a knife to make the edge profile flatter, you'll definitely change the geometry of the knife along the edge, and you'll have thin the knife along the entire edge to keep the original geometry.

Nonetheless, I agree. If someone wants a KS, they should just get a KS.

I couldn't tell you how many tips I've reground, and I'd still rather change edge profile any time. Sure, it'll require some thinning to restore the geometry, but that's a normal part of the maintenance process anyway. Grinding down the tip is a lot more metal to move and a far more arduous task. Of course, that's assuming that the job is done with stones and not a belt grinder, but if the person was proficient with a grinder, they could start with nearly anything and modify it to shape, making the whole question moot.

Still, just get the KS.

I bet you could get a reasonably-priced KS if you put a WTB post on B/S/T.

If KS stands for Konosuke (???) then there's one up on B/S/T now with a gorgeous custom handle.

Latest posts

Back