Levels of Shigs?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Are there different models of Shigefusa that are better than others?

I just bought a SHIGEFUSA KASUMI YANAGIBA 240MM from JNS.

I've heard there are only two levels of Shigefusas: AWESOME and THEAWESOMEST!!1 And there's a very rare third one: "Hello Shige"

sorry, I couldn't resist :) Don't forget to share pics of your newest purchase.

it's 3 really. kurouchi, kasumi and kitaeji. it's really down to the finishes. rustic, misty polished and damascus.

In terms of cost: kurouchi < kasumi < kitaeji

Forged integral bolster western-handled Shigs are far scarcer and far more expensive than their wa-handled counterparts.

Western kitaeji Shigs are the top of the line.

Western Shigs are sublime - I have only seen on on KFF (posted by Maksim) and it was not even for sale (makes me wonder whether it was a custom one).

Generally people hate the handle on the Western Shig.

Maksim occasionally gets Western Shigs in iirc.

There are pictures of Kitaeji/Kasumi westerns at Japan-tool as well, which can be ordered.

Really? Most people i've seen comment wax lyrical about the shape (probably because it is quite unique). The scales are supposed to be a bit crap though?

It's essentially a square handle. I get the impression they think Western Chefs are ham handed Big Foots.

The westerns that Maxim sells are often rehandled by Dan I belive.

I may be dead wrong, but I think I've seen KU santokus and maybe (?) KU 180 gyutos before. Definitely never a big gyuto, though.

Well I have a western Kitaej that I waited a year to get from Kiya and I think the handle is nothing short of sublime, feels like a perfect extension of my hand in fact

Love the handle on my Western gyuto.. Pick up the knife and it disappears--you've just got a sharp pointy bit at the end of your arm. It may be comparing apples and oranges, but I've got a Yosihide western petty (made in the Shigefusa shop by the younger son, if I remember correctly). Based on appearance alone the knives look like big brother/little brother, but I can't stand the handle on the petty. Neither handle was installed by Shigefusa.

There are also KU santokus. Like the one in my knife drawer. :D

What makes a shig so beloved? I've never seen or handled one so I'm curious as to why these particular knives are so highly regarded. I know they are near impossible to get unless you get on a 2 year waiting list. Is there an alternative that is highly thought of without the wait and hefty price tag?

Love the handle on my Western gyuto.. Pick up the knife and it disappears--you've just got a sharp pointy bit at the end of your arm. It may be comparing apples and oranges, but I've got a Yosihide western petty (made in the Shigefusa shop by the younger son, if I remember correctly). Based on appearance alone the knives look like big brother/little brother, but I can't stand the handle on the petty. Neither handle was installed by Shigefusa.

There are also KU santokus. Like the one in my knife drawer. :D

Do you have a pic posted somewhere around here? Would love to see it.

The price tag isn't particularly hefty considering the level of craftsmanship & finish, if you sign up for Maksims ( Japanese natural stones) shigefusa newsletter, he gets regular shipments of various knives , a shigefusa 150mm kasumi petty is a relatively inexpensive way to see what all the fuss is about.

What makes a shig so beloved? I've never seen or handled one so I'm curious as to why these particular knives are so highly regarded. I know they are near impossible to get unless you get on a 2 year waiting list. Is there an alternative that is highly thought of without the wait and hefty price tag?

I find that it's just a near-perfect mix of great blade profile, awesome geometry, and exceptional quality. Just really outstanding knives. I have a gyuto and a yanagiba, both are sublime.

Sublime, would that be like a green kumquat?:D

Be well,
Mikey

The price tag isn't particularly hefty considering the level of craftsmanship & finish, if you sign up for Maksims ( Japanese natural stones) shigefusa newsletter, he gets regular shipments of various knives , a shigefusa 150mm kasumi petty is a relatively inexpensive way to see what all the fuss is about.

And he has a couple of 240s in stock at the moment......:happymug:

As sublime they are, its difficult for me to justify $600+ for a 240mm gyuto. Is the kanji stamped or hand engraved on the kasumi line?

Back