Quantcast
gyuto profile opinions wanted
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gyuto profile opinions wanted

gyuto profile opinions wanted

Here is the first gyuto that I made, it was completed a few months ago and I worked with the customer to meet the specs that he wanted. I only made the blade and he was having the handle made elsewhere. I just finished forging another billet and will be attempting another gyuto and am interested in some feedback.

Specs: w2/15n20 my damascus,
    Length: 270mm
    Width at heel: 50mm
    Thickness at spine above heel: 2.4 mm
    Thickness at edge: about .007 inches

All input is appreciated!

I personally like my edge to angle up, so that when its parallel to the board my handle points up for leverage as I'm cutting with the straight part of the blade. On a slicer, I like the handle and edge parallel like this because I'm drawing the knife towards me.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

+1 on the slight angle up. The tip should be more down, it looks like it's in an odd place for a knife that long.

That blade looks really long, compared to its own dimensions. Kinda making me trying to figure out whats off about it.

I think it's pretty good though--one I'd have to use to really know much about how it works. Sometimes a knife can have funny traits and still work well with itself.

Tip should narrow more and I'd bring it down. That blade is going to be nose heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    I personally like my edge to angle up, so that when its parallel to the board my handle points up for leverage as I'm cutting with the straight part of the blade. On a slicer, I like the handle and edge parallel like this because I'm drawing the knife towards me.
    I am not clear what you mean on the edge angling up part, got a pic that demonstrates it?

Thanks

John

I agree with the previous comments, but that dammy looks really great!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by JMJones View Post
    I am not clear what you mean on the edge angling up part, got a pic that demonstrates it?
    A Honesuki is extreme angling up. The spine isn't neccesarily less than 180degrees in relation to the handle, but the edge, starting at the heel, and handle are not parallel.

I think Salty nailed what was bugging me, the spine has too much bulk above the belly. If it's light enough, it won't matter, and if the handle is heavy enough, it won't be nose-heavy, just heavy overall. That's what I was getting at--it might be a problem, but might not.

I find it amusing that the damascus pattern seems to accentuate that area.

If I might add, too symetrical as well.

Check out Masamoto profiles. I think my favorite all time is Salty's honyaki.

Thanks for the input and I get what you mean abou the edge angle now and agree the tip needs work. I will be hitting the drawing board in the next day or so and will post a sketch for critique.

One more thing on a kind of unrelated note, what is the difinition of blade belly? Sometimes I think I know what it is and other times I read a comment and am not so sure.