Quantcast
Itinomonn - Maksim please tells us more :) - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Itinomonn - Maksim please tells us more :)

Should we maybe start a separate thread where you could describe in details what exactly you want from this project? I mean describe in details profile and geometry, desired steel, price range and handle materials. With that information people could decide if they are interested or not. And with all THAT information we could contact different makers to see what can they offer.

Funny that you guys don't like the profile on the KU Itinomonn gyutos. I absolutely love the profile. Tall, slightly higher tip, but still effective. Meh. Different strokes, I guess. I'll admit it's not for everyone, but I do wonder if people get a bit carried away with the "low tip" idea.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Funny that you guys don't like the profile on the KU Itinomonn gyutos. I absolutely love the profile. Tall, slightly higher tip, but still effective. Meh. Different strokes, I guess. I'll admit it's not for everyone, but I do wonder if people get a bit carried away with the "low tip" idea.
    Mine has no flat area at all and is the curviest knife I own. I'm not looking for the wharncliffe-esque things some people have been looking for, but this has almost as much belly as a Shun and is taller than even most of my nakiri (55mm, advertised as 50). My stainless-clad Itinomonn is also a continuous curve pretty much but is almost 5mm shorter at the heel so the tip is closer to the center and the overall shape much more manageable. Is the shape for protein slicing? I can't really use it on vegetables unless rocking, but the height makes that a lot of work.

I have a 210 and a 240 KU Itinomonn and the 210 has very little flat, the 240 is much better in that regard.

From reading the comments above it would seem that there is some variation in the blade shape of the Itinomonn gyutos. Knowing it one could use it to ones own advantage and asking Maksim before purchase.

Just wanted to say - just seen (online) the new Itinomon semi-stainless and to me it looks pretty much perfect. Not too tall at the heel, thin and light and Maksim says that it is actually harder and stiffer than the V2 Itinomonns. Makes me want to order one just to try it!

Maksim - what should we expect from the steel compared to well known players like SKD or SLD in terms of edge holding, sharpening or chip resistance?

Yeah it looks promising...a 210 with similar profile would be awesome.

Looks like the spiritual successor to the Zensho-Yoshikane SKD migaki gyuto (still the best knife I have ever used, a fantastic all-rounder) going by the profile and measurements.