Coffee Grinding

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoqaVin

Reaction score
Ok since I am a coffee officiando "beginner" lol...I order some single origin Kenyan coffee but I had them grind it should I invest in my own grinder and that will result in better tasting coffee? If I had the time I would get my own beans and roast them myself but I just don't have the time at the moment

Ok since I am a coffee officiando "beginner" lol...I order some single origin Kenyan coffee but I had them grind it should I invest in my own grinder and that will result in better tasting coffee? If I had the time I would get my own beans and roast them myself but I just don't have the time at the moment

yes, you will see better results if you grind it yourself.... think of it like pepper, do you use ground pepper in the kitchen or do you grind it in a mill yourself?

same principal, like pepper, when you grind coffee beans there are oils and flavors realead. you lose some/all of that with packaged pre-ground coffee.

yes, you will see better results if you grind it yourself.... think of it like pepper, do you use ground pepper in the kitchen or do you grind it in a mill yourself?

same principal, like pepper, when you grind coffee beans there are oils and flavors realead. you lose some/all of that with packaged pre-ground coffee.

good comparison do you own a grinder which one should I look into getting?

Conical burr grinder. Manual or electronic, depends on how much you want to spend and how much cranking you want to do.

Not much small batches because it is for myself and maybe my GF if she likes it?

Which brand is the best there are so many I see on Amazon

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a cheap Burr Grinder at walmart.
What a difference in the taste of the coffee.
I like to use a drip cone and make each cup as I need it.

You know what inspired me to buy coffee was that post you made with the coffee and the burls

Just going slightly off topic here.
The other day after work I stopped by the grocery store on the way home.
Like a dummy I did not lock the car.
When I came back the glove box and console were open and a package with 2 lbs of coffee that had arrived in the mail were missing.
There was $15 cash still in the console that they left, but the dang thief took my coffee.

I grind per cup,#4 cone filters.Use a stiff artists brush to clean the grinder & cap.Been using a Mr. Coffee small grinder last couple yrs. works fine.

I think grinding your beans fresh is one of the best:coffeelove: single steps you can take to improve your cup of joe

I have a breville smart grinder. I love it. I drink a lot of coffee daily (4-6 cups) and you can't beat freshly ground. Also if you have money to splurge, a technivorm coffee maker is amazing. It makes an amazing pot of coffee. I've had French drips, presses, percolators, but thee technivorm makes the strongest pot for me.

I am in SW Oregon. Everything is weird here.

I may have applied for a job around there somewhere...

Not much to add to the coffee grinding except confirming that getting a decent grinder really does make a huge difference.

Stefan

IMO, th only hand grinder worth looking at is the Lido from Orphan Espresso. 38mm conical, well under $200, it will even do espresso grinds---though it's best at drip and press.

You should get a good grinder (ex : mazzer) if You have an expresso machine that uses no pressurised filter (easy : You see through the hole) because You actually create the pressure in the coffee by how thin the particles are (thinner = more pressure) and You actually have to adapt the grinding for each coffee. If your expresso machine has a pressurised filter in my opinion don't bother such grinder any cheap grinder with rotating blades will be enough and you'll still get the benefit of fresh coffee (honestly it does make a huge difference in my experience).

Buying an "real grinder" and a decent non pressurised expresso machine was quite a revelation on my part :eek2: I hope you'll experiment the same thing.

When I used to drink coffee, I used a Camano Coffee Mill. It was perfect for the amounts of coffee I made (just me, daily, and two or three when we had company) and was quiet enough to use in the morning without waking anyone up. The grinding took some effort so if you're averse to physical exertion, look elsewhere. It's far from being the ne plus ultra of manual grinders but it was affordable, interchangeable with all widemouth mason jars and made in the USA.
camano-coffee-mill.jpg

I have been using the Rocky Rancillio Doserless for about 10 years. You have to clean it every year or so but it's been bullet proof.

http://www.rancilio.it/5-Rancilio-Dosing-Grinders-MD_80-40-ROCKY--ROCKY-ROCKY_SD_

That's what I had been using and fully agree. Recently got my hands locally on a Mazzer and now I am wondering whether to keep the Rocky as a second grinder for French press and drip or sell it. If I sell, shipping it out of the islands would be too expensive, so it will go on Craigslist. Anybody on Oahu need one? ;)

Stefan

Back