Photo Gallery of Knives with Burl Source wood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
I really enjoy seeing what people do with the wood they get from me.
So I thought it would be fun to start a thread where you guys could post photos of what you make with the wood you get.
Please post photos of knives you have made with Burl Source wood.

I will start the thread with a knife made by Scott McGhee.
The wood he used for the handle was Black & White Ebony. The wood took on an amber tint when it was stabilized.

m_degaeta+complete_0001.jpg

m_degaeta+complete_0003.jpg

m_degaeta+complete_0005.jpg

Here are a couple that aren't kitchen knives but you might recognize the maker's mark.
butchharner1.jpg

Here is another one by Scott that he took to Blade and had professionally photographed by Coop.
Walnut really looks good on fighters and bowies.
orig.jpg

It is ok to post your comments in this thread, (good, bad, ugly or whatever).

I bought a piece of Redwood Burl from you that Marko made into a handle for a 270mm Shigefusa. It's finished, but I don't have it yet, and don't have any good pictures of it. If Marko has some, maybe he can add them. If not, I will be sure to once I receive it.

now i nee dot look and see what all i have got from you and finished out (didnt i get a 2 tone black palm not long ago)
260410_1762725358564_1551997027_31424635_7602214_n.jpg

So is that what you call a "bush" knife?

Wow Butch!
You really made that palm look good.
Great looking knife!
Thank you for posting the photo.

Here is a handle I just made on a Carter funayuki from a magnificent Burl Source block of colored and stabilized maple burl with a Musk ox horn ferrule. The Musk is translucent so you can see the colour of the burl straight through it making it "auto match" the wood.

4zxkav.jpg

DarKHoeK

Here is a handle I just made on a Carter funayuki from a magnificent Burl Source block of colored and stabilized maple burl with a Musk ox horn ferrule. The Musk is translucent so you can see the colour of the burl straight through it making it "auto match" the wood.

4zxkav.jpg

DarKHoeK

What a beautiful handle, Harald! Øyvind is lucky to have you as a friend.

Rick

Thanks Rick. :) I just love my hobby when I can get hold of beautiful materals like these. The Musk ox horn really surprised me. It is very stable and cuts, drills and grinds very well and it takes a beautiful polish. To bad it is so pricey and hard to come by. This particular piece is from Greenland. The maple burl was as hard as Ironwood but it behaved beautifully and was very well stabilized.

Harald.

Beautiful work, Harald. And thanks for the musk ox info, I had looked at those for a while but wasn't sure whether they would work. So you used it unstrabilized, right? In any case, it looks fabulous!

Stefan

Im very lucky to have darkhoek so close:) the handle he made is just out of this world. Hopefully darkhoek will post somthing on his blog;)

Beautiful work, Harald. And thanks for the musk ox info, I had looked at those for a while but wasn't sure whether they would work. So you used it unstrabilized, right? In any case, it looks fabulous!

Stefan

Yes, Stefan, I used it unstabilized. Time will show what the shrinkage is on this material, but it seems very dense and stable. As the horn is quite burly I believe it is less prone to crack like buffalo or cow horn.

Harald.

WOW!!!!
That handle is beautiful!
Thank you for posting the photos.

The musk ox really looks good with the burl.
Mark Knapp a knife maker in Alaska uses it quite a bit on his knives.
He sells the musk ox pieces as well. I think they should call the blocks ingots instead of blocks. It sure is expensive stuff.
But......oh baby, it sure looks good!

Absolutely beautiful. That is a lucky knife!

That is a beautiful handle! Now im looking at musk ox horn....

Did some experimenting with the black stabilized maple burl from Burl Source and made a couple of prefabs. They will be finished with musk ox ferrules and silver pewter spacers when I know what blades to put them on, but I have no blades to put them on yet. As of now they can be fitted to anything up to a 300mm gyuto or yanagiba, but can easily be trimmed down to fit smaller blades. The burl is absolutely magnificent and I have not succeded in catching the beautiful metallic shine in these handles.

9tj1n4.jpg

r075hc.jpg

2hgbyf7.jpg

DarkHOeK

Im a sucker for musk ox horn!! Heidi loves the knife Harald! Looking forward to the update on your blog.

Im a sucker for musk ox horn!! Heidi loves the knife Harald! Looking forward to the update on your blog.

Looks like I forgot all about taking pictures during the process. :scratchhead: I'll have to borrow the knife for a photo session soon.

DarkHOeK

Got 2 packages in the mail today...one was from Marko and my Shigefusa with a Burl Source Redwood Burl handle...and the other was from Burl Source with a new block and set of scales. The cycle starts anew! Pictures later, gotta go to work.

Ironwood by Burl Source, handle and saya by kaeleb.

It's been said before, "Pictures don't capture the real thing." My first rehandle and the wood is beautiful.

Matt did a terrific job with the rehandle. The copper spacers add a nice touch of class. The saya is very functional and a terrific bonus.

The handle turned out very nice.
I like the copper with the ironwood.

Sweet, thanks for posting those Craig. I hope it works out well for you.

Mark, as usual, great wood!

Back