Kato, Dragon in Stock

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi

Sind there have been so many requests on 240mm Kato Gyutos.

They are in stock Now :D But not to many, less then requests :)

FYI received the Kato on Monday. Amazing knife. Pics to come.

FYI received the Kato on Monday. Amazing knife. Pics to come.
great, yeh!
i use one- with Dragon - nice stuff! Needs to be dry, never leave wet- 2-3 min- and you can get some nice fat rusty flakes- easy to remove, but.. Great knife- i love it! And how easy to resharpen??!!! Cool! welcome to the Kato-club, broth!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

is there any shipment of 240 Kato workhorse coming soon? thanks.

I think it is ok. Placed order for 150 and 210 workhorse.

Men, Workhorse is nice, especially with Dragon engraving. Kato Damascus beats the Workhorse, Kikuryu beats them both ;).
I really love them. Kato Nakiri is a beast. Kato 180 Petty is the best petty from all i've ever tried ( having the full range of Shigefusa etc). I took a Kato Santoku only to use as a test knife for my existing and coming Jnats, but...i use it as a smaller knife as well! Jato has amazing slicers ( Yanagiba, Sujihiki)- the JNS line is made of some other ( older??) steel, much better then his regular Shirogami he makes for japanese and american retailers. So i understand you, guys :). I really love Kato's knives. The only point, where Kato isn't a a" King of the Hill"- the single bevel- this is the territory of Shigefusa, definitely. Comparing their Yanagiba knives i can say it for sure. And i still can't find the right way of use for a small paring Kato knife- yes, to peel the veggies it's great, but i like to use that kind of knife for fruits sitting in my chair in front of tv, and here it isn't good at all- a high- carbon steel gets rust quickly ( due to acidic fruit's juice) and, what's worse: it gets a nasty steel smell- so not good at all for a relaxed tv watching 😷😷😷! So i use my small Wüsthof for this task :)
But let it be the only negative point!

Men, Workhorse is nice, especially with Dragon engraving. Kato Damascus beats the Workhorse, Kikuryu beats them both ;).
I really love them. Kato Nakiri is a beast. Kato 180 Petty is the best petty from all i've ever tried ( having the full range of Shigefusa etc). I took a Kato Santoku only to use as a test knife for my existing and coming Jnats, but...i use it as a smaller knife as well! Jato has amazing slicers ( Yanagiba, Sujihiki)- the JNS line is made of some other ( older??) steel, much better then his regular Shirogami he makes for japanese and american retailers. So i understand you, guys :). I really love Kato's knives.

Andrey, would you elaborate a little bit what's better with kikuryu in terms of performance compared to other katos (basically kato vs kato)?
I also like to know what you liked so much about the 180 petty?

what is the main difference between kato damascus and kato kikuryu? I saw the pattern difference between the two knives on jns website...but kikuryu just has more folding to get more complex damascus pattern or it's with different metals from what's used in kato damascus? maybe manufacturing secret?

Andrey, would you elaborate a little bit what's better with kikuryu in terms of performance compared to other katos (basically kato vs kato)?
I also like to know what you liked so much about the 180 petty?

what is the main difference between kato damascus and kato kikuryu? I saw the pattern difference between the two knives on jns website...but kikuryu just has more folding to get more complex damascus pattern or it's with different metals from what's used in kato damascus? maybe manufacturing secret?

Hi, there are some manufacturing secrets for sure, otherwise Kato-san would produce them all the time.
As fas as i know he does them very seldom due to specific production process, just some knives a year. There should be a reason why. ;).
Damascus is harder, then " normal" Gyutos. Sturdier. Feels more solid in the hand. The difference isn't that huge in comparison to 240 mm, but quite big vs my Dragon 210.
The huge gap is between any knife, including Damascus, and Kikuryu. You maybe know, Kato-san folds his own Damascus by himself. So the cladding becomes harder. Damascus has many layers, Kikuryu - so many.. ;) .. The knife has been etched as well, so it's less reactive, BTW.
Kikuryu is even more hard, then his Damascus. The knife feels like a....sword. Like a real weapon, not just like a knife. Almost no flex. The steel seems to be harder. Not Shirogami, all the knives made for Maksim are made of some other steel, seems to be some old stock. For USA he uses Shirogami, as far as i know. I have many knives made of this steel from different blacksmiths, so i can see- the steel is definitely different.
The retention is amasing( if sharpened correctly). Kikuryu Gyuto gives you the sense of danger:). No , really, it doesn't cut. It SEPARATES the products. Strange feeling. Amazing..

Very sturdy knife, you feel real respect holding it. Totally different from all other knives. IMHO. Comparing ca 50 great knives. At least. This knife I never give for testing.
BTW- I haven't got the same feeling using/testing Kikuryu Petty 180. But " normal" Petty 180 made me fall in love with it. Lightweight, speedy, sharp as a devil! After getting it i stopped using my Petties made my Shigefusa!!!!!
And i have them all: Kuroushi, Kasumi, Kitaeji. I even decided to sell Kitaeji ( unused, BTW) , because the comparisson wasn't at Shigefusa favore. ;). Not at all.
Kato is very reactive, but that's all. Shige as well. You know, i had the same feeling choosing between Nakiri ( Kato vs Shigefusa). Shigefusa was so nice, silky finish even on kuroushi , Kato looked like a redneck vs a yappy. But...the first cut showed who's the Boss!
Shigefusa is definitely better in finish AND in his single bevelled knives. He is the King there. Comparing their Yanagibas i can say it. That's why i have 1 Kato Yanagiba, and all the range incl. Kitaeji from Shigefusa.
So these two great blacksmiths are the jewels, the real diamonds. There should be some other great ones, but all i saw/tried/ have can be easily beaten by them. Unless you need a SS or PM knife.

Andrey, Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I really appreciate it.
It summarize quite well about kato and shige.
Today I got my first kato (210 gyuto) from Maksim. I really like it. ^^
So, I will have to sell knives to save money for a kikuryu when it is available. :wink:

Andrey, Thank you very much for your detailed explanation. I really appreciate it.
It summarize quite well about kato and shige.
Today I got my first kato (210 gyuto) from Maksim. I really like it. ^^
So, I will have to sell knives to save money for a kikuryu when it is available. :wink:

Welcome ;)
And good luck 😜:) !!

Back