Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP/

WIP/

Cris Anderson was nice enough to pound out this suji for me recently (310mm long, I'll post other spec's later). After seeing it I decided that it would make for a good WIP thread. This will be a fairly long WIP as I plan to make a saya and presentation box for it using real urushi lacquer. Of coarse before I do that, I have to learn how to do urushi lacquer. Anyway, lets start with the handle. I'm not going to get into as much detail on making the handle as I did in my first WIP, that would just be redundant. If you have any questions about steps I skip in the thread, just ask and I'll be happy to go over it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip1.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	186.6 KB 
ID:	25791

To match the personality of the blade, I wanted the handle to be kinda barbaric, yet elegant and understated (well, understated for me). While I was waiting for the blade I put a lot of thought into how I was going to achieve this. All those thoughts went right out the window the night Randy put some awesome mammoth ivory blocks up for sale. Right after I bought the ivory from Randy I went over to Mark's site and ordered a big hunk of bog oak, because I'd been inspired. I'm calling this my 'Bronze Age Handle'. The only components that are younger then the bronze age are the bronze spacers them self's (I figured that was fair). The body will be ancient bog oak, with mammoth ivory ferrule, mammoth tooth end cap, and two bronze spacers sandwiching a bog oak spacer on each end.

Name:	wip2.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	217.2 KB 
ID:	25792

More to come, but not tonight,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Well you've got my attention! I think Cris's work is pretty to notch, ands he's an f'n gentleman to boot.

Ok, the next step was cutting and drilling the mammoth tooth. Now, I'm not always the sharpest rock in the box, but I was smart enough to hit Stefan up for some clues on how to do this without messing every thing up. I had already figured out that I needed to sandwich it with something to reinforce it. I chose 1/4" MDF attached with some good double sided tape. I also sealed and filled it with thin CA glue (the tooth, not the MDF).

Name:  wip3.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  180.1 KB

One of the first things Stefan warned me about was that mammoth tooth will instantly dull any bandsaw blade it even gets close to. Luckily, I still had tho old stock blade my saw came with and it did the job just fine.

Name:  wip4.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  151.6 KB

After cutting it I resealed/filled the newly exposed edges because......well, just because.

Name:  wip5.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  154.2 KB

Next post I'll cover drilling the hole.
    Mikey

Before drilling the hole in the mammoth tooth, I need to get some new bits. I found these at Home Depot and figured they would do the job.

Name:  wip6.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  202.3 KB

One of the really cool things about these is that they are all the same length. This allows me to go through the whole progression without having to reposition the drill press table.

The new bits worked great.

Name:  wip7.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  174.1 KB

Now the real test, will it be in one piece when I remove the MDF?

Yes!, all is right with the world

Name:  wip8.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  210.0 KB

And here are all the pieces fitted up and ready for gluing. It's late, so I'll save the glue up for tomorrow.

Name:  wip9.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  179.2 KB

Be well,
    Mikey
    Mikey

Glue up

Name:  wip10.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  124.1 KB

Be well and mele kalikimaka,
    Mikey
    Mikey

Awesome stuff, Mikey, thanks for posting!

Fun to see it develop, thanks for sharing!

Nice!

we need more...
    s
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Ok Mark, but only because you asked.

Here's the blank all squared up and tapered.

Name:	wip10x.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	25859

Cutting the initial bevels on this handle proved to be a little challenging. Because I didn't want to ruin my good saw blade on the mammoth tooth, and the crappy blade was useless for every thing else, I had to cut the bevels in two steps. First I superglued a fiber spacer to the back side of the mammoth tooth for support (got the idea of using a fiber spacer from Stefan, when done you can just sand it off).

Name:	wip11.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	25860

Then I used the crappy blade to cut the bevels on the tooth. Next, I switched blades and cut the bevels on the rest of the handle. After cutting the rough bevels on the band saw I smoothed them out on the belt sander.

Name:	wip12x.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	149.7 KB 
ID:	25861Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wip11x.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	25862

Once the shaping was done I went ahead and fitted the handle to the knife. I used to wait until I finished the handle to fit it up, but that was only because I'm not always the smartest guy out there. Much better to do this before making every thing shinny.

Name:	wip13x.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	25863

The handle is now at the engravers and I should be finishing it up this weekend.

Be well,
    Mikey
    Mikey