Thread: How to make a tang slot repost

How to make a tang slot repost

Apparently I screwed up the photo links on the part on my how to thread that showed how I make the tang slot in a wa handle, so I'm reposting that part of the thread with pictures.

Be well,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

As promised, this next set of post will be about fitting the handle to the Blade. This is the method that Iíve found works best for me. Iíve tried a lot of short cuts (spiral saw bit?...donít go there, just donít), but in the end Iíve gone back to the tried and true micro rasps and files. It takes a little longer then some methods, but results in a lot fewer mistakes. These are the tools I use (drill bit not shown).

Name:  wip25.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  180.5 KB

Anyway, the first thing I do is mark out my desired slot with blue painters tape (whoever invented this stuff deserves a Nobel prize).

Name:  wip22.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  127.3 KB

After Iíve marked out the slot I cover the rest of the handle in blue tape. This is just to physically protect the handle from any falls or slips with files.

Name:  wip23.jpg
Size:  130.2 KB

I then drill two addition holes on opposite sides of the pilot hole (use a bit size that matches your slot width).

Name:  wip24.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  141.1 KB

I normally use a round micro-rasp to join the holes, but in this case I used a round mini-file due to the M3 ferrule material.

Name:  wip26.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  166.9 KB

After Iíve joined the holes together I finish shaping the slot with a flat and a square micro-rasp. I was pleasantly surprised that the micro-rasps worked very well on the M3 material.

Name:  wip27.jpg
Size:  162.6 KB
    Mikey

Now comes the dangerous part. Time to remove the tape and fit the slot to the actual tang. Be very careful not to slip and mar the ferrule with the rasps. Hereís the finished work.

Name:  wip28.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  127.2 KB

Notice that the finished slot is slightly biased to the left. This is intentional, and necessary, because the tang bulges out on the left side. This is fairly typical on hand forged J-knives and youíll see it more often than not.

Name:  wip29.jpg
Size:  187.9 KB

My three critical criteria for proper fit are:

The blade is axially aligned with the center of the bottom flat of the handle.

Name:  wip30.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  96.1 KB

The blade is longitudinally aligned with the handle.

Name:  wip31.jpg
Size:  124.3 KB

The spine and handle are lined up the way I want them.

Name:  wip32.jpg
Size:  191.7 KB

This is sometimes to hardest thing to achieve. The tangs on hand forged J-knives are notoriously inconsistent in shape and taper. In this case I had to relieve the bottom of the slot a little bit to accommodate the slope on the bottom of the tang (the curve actually wasnít a problem).

Name:  wip33.jpg
Size:  159.7 KB

Be well,
    Mikey
    Mikey

Thanks Mikey! Very informative.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Thanks for taking the time to do this Mikey, excellente!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Very well done, cutting tang slots and fitting tangs drives me nuts.