Black garlic

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menno

Reaction score
Is there someone here who Has used black garlic and what did you found of iT?

Crap, I keep forgetting that I have a vacuum pack of black garlic. Any suggested uses? I bought it on a whim.

My friend and i made a dressing for chicories with black garlic, leek ash, pickled mustard seeds and a few other bits. It's a fun product.

Made a tarragon black garlic butter for asparagus before. Very tasty

Edipis... I love black garlic. Not only is it good for you but it smells and tastes fantastic. Umami in your face.

I like to use it in rubs, sauces, marinades, and even use it on its own as an accent sauce by pureeing it.

If I'm going to use it as a puree, I peel it, toss it in the vita prep. Then, take the peelings and bring them to a simmer in a little water. Buzz the garlic in the vita prep using the infused water to thin to desired consistency. Sometimes if it's not black enough for you, add a touch of squid or cuddle fish ink.

Recently I've been making black garlic salt where I'll peel the garlic, smear it into a paste, then mix it with kosher salt until I have a "miso paste consistency". From there I crumble it into a sheet tray and put it on top of the oven all day, crumbling it with my fingers every thirty minutes to an hour until it is dry. (you can do this in an oven with the door cracked, at 150 F for an expedited process)
After my garlic crumbles are dry, I push them through a china cap to separate any large clumps from the rest of the product, which should come out consistent in size and individual granules of salt. (I use the bi-product, the clumps, in cures, rubs, sauces, ect)

I also once took this black garlic, "miso paste consistency", and before I did anything with it, I very gently completely covered raw egg yolks with the black garlic salt paste (and a little sugar) and cured them for 6 weeks. The end result was little firm egg yolks with the consistency of an aged gouda.
Black on the outside and bright yellow on the inside with awesome black garlic flavor. I then used these on a microplane as a garnish... you could probably even shave them into super thin discs like a truffle on a truffle board or mandoline, if you so desired.

Made a "black garlic crumble" where I took dark rye bread and cubed it, toasted it on low to dry it out. Then robo-couped it with a heavy amount of black garlic. I then removed it from the robo, and took it back to the oven to dry it out a bit more... plus toasting it all together to meld all flavors.
To finish this, remove the black garlic/rye crumble from the oven and put it back into the robo coupe... spinning it again to desired texture while adding salt to taste and a few cubes of cold butter. delicious.

I make a killer black garlic and roasted Meyer lemon vinaigrette.

Also, a black garlic, blueberry and wild mushroom marmalade.

Or, a gremolata subbing black garlic.

Also, use when poaching fruits like peaches or nectarines in a liqueur.

Add to any pasta dish...

Black Garlic is a mainstay at the restaurant. It's peeled and buzzed with black garlic oil(made by simmering the peelings in evoo) and used as a rub/marinade on our spinalis steak or our hanger steak. We also do some pan seared brussels sprouts with some of the black garlic puree and some nage, finished by gratining some Sotocenere(black truffle cheese) on top.
Be careful because it will easily burn.
Delicious!
Mix it with some Miso and some Gochuchang and a little honey........pow!

I like Black garlic cookie. lite sweetness buttery flavor with hint of salty & garlic....yammy!!

I like Black garlic cookie. lite sweetness buttery flavor with hint of salty & garlic....yammy!!

ohhh. BG cookies... nice one!

Very interesting to think of it being used in sweet instead of savory.

Do you also find the black garlic very hard to Peel. Sometimes i just can't Peel the cloves.

Texture is soft, like garlic confit almost. Taste is sweet with a slight bitter note. Almost balsamic like.

Black Garlic Chili Paste: Put some red Fresno chilis through a meat grinder with a medium die, add crushed black garlic, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce and lime zest. Spices like coriander seed, coarsely cracked, and ground star anise are nice too. Thicken the juice that it throws with Xanthan if you want to. What you get is spicy, sweet, aromatic and deep.

Chef, Very timley recipe. You folks inspired me to grab some black garlic off amazon. Got the already shelled, organic. Looks beautiful. I'm going to give this a go. I don't know where i'm going to get the fresnos, maybe the Asian Market will have them.

Black Garlic Chili Paste: Put some red Fresno chilis through a meat grinder with a medium die, add crushed black garlic, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce and lime zest. Spices like coriander seed, coarsely cracked, and ground star anise are nice too. Thicken the juice that it throws with Xanthan if you want to. What you get is spicy, sweet, aromatic and deep.

I know some of you may find this a strange or gross recipe, but for those of you who have a strong blender and don't find the idea of bread purees too bad:

Cube some pumpernickel bread and put in blender with a few cloves of black garlic. Heat up some cream and/or milk depends on desired texture and then blend all together while liquid is warm. It comes out a light brown and tastes pretty good. We've used the same technique with cornbread and gingersnap cookies before.

Oh and you basically have to keep it hot and it doesn't reheat all that well, I suspect its the gluten?

So I got a craving for Deviled Eggs this saturday night after a few drinks. My girls was like, what are you doing in the kitchen at 12:30AM , why making Black Garlic Eggs of course. Made them with crispy garlic, alleppo pepper, pickled onions and you guested it, minced black garlic. Winner!.

She wasn't impressed. I was though and sometimes thats all that counts.

Just used a ton of black garlic in a sausage emulsified with a stout at the restaurant.

Beer Chef, Recipe, saying "used a ton of black garlic in a sausage emulsified with a stout" doesn't really help anyone recreate your recipe. For home cooks, recipes scaled to five pound batches would be most useful. Could you share?

I would love to have Pan Con Tomate RUBBED with black garlic, slathered with salty and tangy white anchovy and a smidgen of crumbled ricotta right about now. I'm just thinking of something basic to honour the good flavour of the black garlic :):)

This thread inspired me to get some. Not quite sure if I like it as much as regular garlic but I'm going to experiment with it on some chicken tomorrow.

Back