Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Looking for good Horseradish..

  1. #1

    Looking for good Horseradish..

    I like Lou's Organic at 12.99 a jar and after blasting through bottle.. It is very hard to go back to the cheap stuff.
    Any thoughts?
    TIA,
    Vince

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by compaddict View Post
    I like Lou's Organic at 12.99 a jar and after blasting through bottle.. It is very hard to go back to the cheap stuff.
    Any thoughts?
    TIA,
    Vince
    If you like non-mayo prepared horseradish, you can make your own pretty easily if you have a food processor. Buy raw horseradish (heavy ones for the size; lighter ones are drier), peel it and rough chop it, then put it into a food processor, add a little vinegar (while it's running - I use white wine or champagne vinegar), and add more vinegar to taste with salt and pepper until you get the consistency and taste you want.

    Just be careful when you open the processor. It'll blast your nose.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  3. #3
    I'll try that for sure when it's in season. Thanks!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post

    Just be careful when you open the processor. It'll blast your nose.
    When I was a kid, my grandmother grew her own horseradish, and a couple times when we visited, we used her hand grinder to grind it. Most of the house (it was a small house) felt like it was full of tear gas! My family all still remembers those times.

    Thanks for the instructions--I'd like to give that a try. Any idea how long this is good for (stored in the fridge)?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by toddnmd View Post
    When I was a kid, my grandmother grew her own horseradish, and a couple times when we visited, we used her hand grinder to grind it. Most of the house (it was a small house) felt like it was full of tear gas! My family all still remembers those times.

    Thanks for the instructions--I'd like to give that a try. Any idea how long this is good for (stored in the fridge)?
    It's lasted at least two weeks in the fridge like this, but I've never kept it much longer than that because I don't make large batches of the stuff and I finish what I make pretty quickly.

    I just read some recipes that have you put water in first, then vinegar. I'm sure those recipes all work just fine. The stuff is simple to make as long as you have a food processor.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  6. #6
    Senior Member Mucho Bocho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,546
    add a little vitamin C to the mix. The brand Fresh Fruit is readilly available in most grocery stores. Sodium Eythrobate or Mallac Acid work too. A stp will really preserve the color and shelf life to home made condiments.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    add a little vitamin C to the mix. The brand Fresh Fruit is readilly available in most grocery stores. Sodium Eythrobate or Mallac Acid work too. A stp will really preserve the color and shelf life to home made condiments.
    Is this something you've done specifically for horseradish?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

  8. #8
    Senior Member larrybard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    380
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Is this something you've done specifically for horseradish?
    Not using any STP I hope.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mucho Bocho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    1,546
    I use Fresh Fruit in all preserves. Really cuts down on off colors even reduces mold spores. Great for keeping fresh garlic paste too stable too
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Mrmnms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    1,169
    I've happy pretty good luck growing horseradish . Comes back for years. The leaves make a wicked BLT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •