Carbonext 'Extra sharpness' option advice

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarrenB

Reaction score
Thinking of picking up a Carbonext Petty from JCK, most views seem to be that the Carbonext knives are good value but not hearing such good things about the ES 'Extra Sharpness' option, one or two saying it arrived really sharp and some saying it was a bad finish considering it's a sharpening service.
It's only a few $ extra but no point paying if it makes no difference, anybody tried the ES option recently?

I would skip it esp. if you are interested in sharpening your own knives.I found that the Carbonext sharpens up better than most stain resistant knives,you can get a very sharp edge on it yourself.

I would skip it esp. if you are interested in sharpening your own knives.I found that the Carbonext sharpens up better than most stain resistant knives,you can get a very sharp edge on it yourself.

I do intend to sharpen my knives myself and am currently trying to get to a good standard on the stones, so practice practice practice is the order of the day. The Carbonext seems like a pretty good deal especially as the £-$ exchange rate is getting better, but will save a few $ leaving the ES option out.
Thanks for the reply.
Warren

If you're not good at sharpening I'd probably get the ES option, the "standard" edge on my Carbonext gyuto was awful. They're great knives

The OOTB edge on the CarboNEXTs are pretty variable. Unlike stevenStefano, my gyuto came with a very good edge.

If you can sharpen, I'd recommend taking a pass on the ES option.

Rick

The OOTB edge on the CarboNEXTs are pretty variable. Unlike stevenStefano, my gyuto came with a very good edge.

If you can sharpen, I'd recommend taking a pass on the ES option.

Rick

+1 My non-ES CarboNext came with a usable edge. It wasn't great, but it certainly wasn't bad.

Think I will leave the ES option, I can sharpen to what I would call an 'ok' level and the knives are nice and sharp and cut well when I am done, just want to get better and be able to get them somewhere near the best they can be.
Thanks guys

Mine came with an edge but not much of one. It takes a little work but it gets pretty sharp.

After lurking and reading a lot on this forums for the past few weeks I decided to buy Carbonext 240mm.

The service was stellar - it arrived for 4 working days. I skipped the option of ES since from what I read it was not always consistent and I want to learn to sharpen anyway. The OOTB edge was interesting - it wedges and screeches while slicing carrots. I have abyssal knife skills so maybe it was not the little fella's fault - but it definitely was duller than the Wasabi Black it replaced.

Where I live there are no sharpeners that are proficient with j-knives and I will be able to afford stones on the next salary. So it is now waiting for me or an edge pro clone with sandpaper. So if you are unwilling to take risks - probably the ES option is not so bad idea.

Does anyone know what steel is used in these knives? I hesitate to buy something without knowing what I am getting for my money. I am curious about this.

As far as I know it is a semi-stainless steel. It sharpens and performs similar to carbon steels, with stainless steel advantages.
It's a solid performer.

I ordered the Carbonext 240mm Suji with ES. It arrived and the edge was a mess. I sent it back. I think the Carbonext knives are good knives for the money. But, skip the ES. I actually sent it back and got the Hiromoto G3 240mm suji and I have been happy.

Does anyone know what steel is used in these knives? I hesitate to buy something without knowing what I am getting for my money. I am curious about this.

It's basically the same knife as the TKC "Performance" Clone from Kikiuchi.

Back