Quantcast
105 lb Halibut - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 105 lb Halibut

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    The yanagi doesn't want to pull to one side either? Or does the softness of the fish and drawing action on the slice help it make a straight up and down cut? I only have a small yanagi and haven't used it that much, and not to portion any fish yet.

I have a 300mm Hiro suji with a Dave handle. I like it a lot, but it's the only one I have so I don't have much to compare it to. Nice having the aogami super and stainless cladding though.
    Watch this for suggestions from KC Ma via Jon on how to avoid steering with single bevel knives...

Also, why don't you use the yanagi for removing the skin? A.) Yanagi's are tailor made for exactly that application, and B.) The longer blade would make skinning such a wide fillet much easier without risk of cutting into the flesh so much.

Yeah, steering. I knew there was a word for it, just forgot. Like I said, I haven't used mine that much and when I used it on harder items it did steer quite a bit. I have been trying to force myself out of my natural instinct to automatically reach for my double bevel knives. Actually packing them in my kit has certainly helped, haha. Been using my deba a lot more, not the yanagi yet though.

When KC places the blade on the filet where he wants to start his cut, is the blade angled slighting (not straight up and down), or is the camera just playing tricks on me?

When skinning is it better to have a certain side of the knife towards the skin? Ura towards skin, bevel towards filet?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I think that's a trick of the eye. Because the knife is "flat" on the inside, when held with the ura perpendicular to the board the other side (that you can see in the video) looks "tilted". When his slicing sashimi on the bias then yes, the knife is slightly tilted.

As far as skinning, the ura lays flat going to the board side. This allows the bevel side of the knife to "lift" the fillet away and up from the skin. Watch some of itasan18's videos on youtube for demonstration of the technique. For example, look at the 40 second mark of this video.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    Watch this for suggestions from KC Ma via Jon on how to avoid steering with single bevel knives...

Also, why don't you use the yanagi for removing the skin? A.) Yanagi's are tailor made for exactly that application, and B.) The longer blade would make skinning such a wide fillet much easier without risk of cutting into the flesh so much.
    I do use the yanagi for skinning mostly (see my mahi video) however it was still in my kit at the time so I just used the global. The yanagi does work flawlessly while skinning mostly. However sometimes it can be too sharp for certain skin types and it will blow right through the skin and then you have to jerk around trying to get it all off. Doesn't happen too ofter if you are careful but when it does it's a pain for sure.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I do use the yanagi for skinning mostly (see my mahi video) however it was still in my kit at the time so I just used the global. The yanagi does work flawlessly while skinning mostly. However sometimes it can be too sharp for certain skin types and it will blow right through the skin and then you have to jerk around trying to get it all off. Doesn't happen too ofter if you are careful but when it does it's a pain for sure.
    Ha, true. Funny thing is, there is an itasan video (I think the skipjack tuna one) where he does exactly this, leaving pieces of the skin on the filet. It's funny, cause he uses a "BOO" track in the background or something like that when he shows the mistake.

Another very good video. But I think you're going to need a bigger boat.

great job. may i know which song is that ?

Thanks! The first song is La Roux's "In for the kill" with Skream's let's get ravey dubstep remix. The second one is Ellie Goulding's "Starry Eyed" with Jakwob's dubstep remix.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

IME, a Yanagi that is sharp enough to cut Toro sashimi well will go right through the skin on a bass, flounder, etc. I have more luck with my flexy Gyuto than my Yanagi.

Now thats gonna be some stock out of there.
    Staff fish soup for a month

Good job there, how do you like meat from older one versus lets say 10-15kg one?