Quantcast
Explain Damasteel to Me Please
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Explain Damasteel to Me Please

Explain Damasteel to Me Please

Ok, can someone explain the main differences between the Damasteel AB steel out of Sweden and damascus made by Devin, Pierre, Del or anyone else. I think the term 'damasteel' is confusing.

See Damasteel link

From what I understand, one is a powder technology and the other a forge welded process. Is that correct?

Is the powder damasteel close in performance to R2 or SG2?

Just wondering.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Good question .... I've often wondered the same thing! I'm looking forward to the answer.

Sorry Karring, I didn't see your link - I double posted it.

Sooooo...as best I cant tell, the answer is Magic.

I have always known damascus is a ton of work to make. Seems like they have found an even MORE complicated process to make it. But I guess having the work done by machines helps.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Sooooo...as best I cant tell, the answer is Magic.

I think you nailed it.

looks like they just make two powdered steels together but in a pattern determined by the "filling" device. when they apply the heat and pressure, instead of making a monosteel block, they generate one with some combination of powdered steels in some predetermined pattern.

I find Damasteel is not best suited for wide blades, such as kitchen knives. The patter is nicest in the middle of the billet and gets compressed toward the edges. For that reason alone, billets made by D. Thomas and others win hands down in terms of pattern consistency.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Damasteel is made by using powder placed in a large round canister in concentric rings of 2 different alloys. The 2 different steel powders used are similar to 12C27 and ATS-34/154cm in composition.

The can is sealed and then hot isostatic pressed to form a solid billet. The solid billet is then rolled out into bars and patterned. Most of their patterns are made by manipulating the surface of the bar. They do have some twisted patterns and one that is made by putting some welded and drawn out round bars back into a can then rewelding and drawing into bar stock.

Because the billet is formed by using concentric rings of powdered layers, some of the patterns change toward the edge of the bar because the layers shift from horizontal in the middle of the bar to vertical at the edge.

I think that it a good cutting material and I do like some of their patterns.

Hoss

Damasteel is made by laying down with a machine the two steels as alternating layers of powdered alloys in a type of mold and using that machine to produce the patterns, then fused (welded).Stainless damascus from guys like Ealy, Thomas, etc is made by stacking up alternating layers of the two alloys by hand, then welding and patterning them. The main difference that I see is that Del, Devin, Mike, and Chad are still making what is hand made damascus, while Damasteel is a mass production item. Another difference at one time was the cost. Damasteel was considerably less money than Mike's and Devin's, but it's now pretty expensive. The alloys used by Damasteel are different from the others.

I have used Damasteel a few times. It is a quality made product. However, I really don't like using it. The main reason is the finishing process. You must etch Damasteel in nitric or hydrochloric acid, or muriatic acid (hydrochloric at a specific level of concentration). I use muriatic, and I don't like the fuming. It burns eyes and nasal passages, and it rusts equipment. The steels made by Del, Mike, etc can be etch in ferric chloride, which is safe and easy to use. I can't get as nice a contrast with Damasteel. I personally don't care for the patterns of Damasteel, whereas the other guys have more interesting patterns.

As far as kitchen knives are concerned, Damasteel should perform decently. My speculation is that it would be comparable to 154cm or ATS-34. I do believe that the carbide and grain size of AEB-L, a main ingredient in the hand made stainless damascus, is much smaller. That would translate into a keener edge. As for the patterns on a wide blade, any damascus can be and is usually distorted alone the edges in comparison to the center area.

David

+ Reply to Thread