"Emoticon" on Shigefusa Kanji?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
I was looking at my present and the kanji looked like a kanji, but at closer inspection I notice something that looked a little strange a sort of emoticon. After googleing a bit I could not see if other shiges have it or not. Is this something normal, does it mean anything? Is it a cheap knock off? :wink:

Nx9LYSo.jpg

:scratchhead:

Maybe something got in between the blade and the stamp when the impression was made?

Maybe something got in between the blade and the stamp when the impression was made?

That was my first impression too. I have a kitaji, so it's hand engraved and not stamped... To me it adds something unique to the knife though. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you got it from a reputable retailer. Are there even fake Shigefusa's? Maybe someone else can chime in but I've never seen them around.

- Steve

I've never heard of a fake Shigefusa. I've seen lots of them with those imperfectons in the kanji. I believe they're just imperfections in the stamp itself, and show up in varying degrees depending on how hard the stamp as hit.

o o
. \ \

Hmmmm ..... It is obviously a Cthulhu emoticon. I wouldn't use that blade if I were you. The Elder Gods are nothing to **** around with.

That was my first impression too. I have a kitaji, so it's hand engraved and not stamped... To me it adds something unique to the knife though. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if you got it from a reputable retailer. Are there even fake Shigefusa's? Maybe someone else can chime in but I've never seen them around.

- Steve
I am was joking about the fake shige, I am not worried about it. Mostly coz AFAIK it was bought from Maxim @ JNS. So I guess it's just meaningless imperfection then.

Wabi-sabi bro.
I had to google that, appears to be that the value of the knife just doubled :p

Hmmmm ..... It is obviously a Cthulhu emoticon. I wouldn't use that blade if I were you. The Elder Gods are nothing to **** around with.
I will risk it man! I hope Cthulhu will understand and forgive.

Oh sh*t, that's reminds me that it bit me right at opening! I tried to pull it out from the paper "saya" and I bumped my thumb against the knife's heel! :) That explains it now.

Oh sh*t, that's reminds me that it bit me right at opening! I tried to pull it out from the paper "saya" and I bumped my thumb against the knife's heel! :) That explains it now.

Somewhere in the dark nameless depths of the sea Cthulhu is drawing sustenance from your blood sacrifice. He is chuckling with unholy glee.

Kraken-cthulhu.jpg

That's an obvious fake. I'd dump that knife immediately. I collect fakes so I am happy to purchase at discount price.....lol

Back