Quantcast
Another western rehandle - start to finish - photo heavy

Thread: Another western rehandle - start to finish - photo heavy

Another western rehandle - start to finish - photo heavy

Hi again, I'm back with another western rehandle on a cheapo knife (hmmm, this is becoming a bit of a "thing" for me I think - I'm gonna run out of cheap blades at this rate )

So, this is another ultra cheap knife I had in the garden shed and a neighbour who has even worse knives (basically disposables) so I thought I'd practice handle-making some more and at least make something that would look nice and be better than the absolute shite she has.

This is a "chef's" knife that had quite a strange profile (see last image below) that I re-profiled to be somewhere between a slicer and a french-style chef's. You'll see I ground out the primary bevel and the big-ass shoulder and thinned the whole blade out considerably (you can still see some of the grind marks on the flat of the blade - even after lots of polishing - any tips for getting those out?). I also did a slight reprofile on the back of the tang/handle as well to round it out - hated that squared-off end.

Anyway, on to pics:

Before rehandling (nb, the re-profiling has already been done at this stage - I forgot to take a photo before I started any work)

After re-profiling/thinning:

Marking out the new handle profile:

Shaping out the scales (jarrah & silver birch):

Scales glued and rough shaping out of the handle:

Fine shaping (note the homemade mosaic pin ):

Finished product:

Before & After:

Hope you like it. Again, I know this could be better but those curved joins were trickier than they look and than I expected! C&C welcome as usual. Thanks for looking.

Adrian

Saw the first one you did and now this one, for first attempts they look brilliant Much better than the first attempt I just posted.
    Will be trying another one myself after seeing this, guess it gets addictive

I'm gonna buy a bunch of cheap knives and send them to you for rehandling
    That's an awesome job you've done there!

Nice work, and yeah, it does get addictive

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

While I realize this is a re-handle job and you did a bit of grinding on the blade I ponder why you did not clean sand the blade in all directions to give it a clean appearance with the New handle . other then that it looks good .

Thanks for the comments and kind words, guys. Inspires me to keep at it .

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenB View Post
    Saw the first one you did and now this one, for first attempts they look brilliant Much better than the first attempt I just posted.
    Will be trying another one myself after seeing this, guess it gets addictive
    Would love to see another from you Warren - your first one was a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    I'm gonna buy a bunch of cheap knives and send them to you for rehandling
    That's an awesome job you've done there!
    Thanks chzbrgr! That's a real compliment as I love the handles you've putting out as well

Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    Nice work, and yeah, it does get addictive
    Mikey
    Thanks Mikey! It sure does get addictive - working on fixing up a worn small utility and turning it into a paring. Hope to up some pics soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Cro View Post
    While I realize this is a re-handle job and you did a bit of grinding on the blade I ponder why you did not clean sand the blade in all directions to give it a clean appearance with the New handle . other then that it looks good .
    Mate, I hand-sanded that thing until my arms almost fell off! I even ghetto-rigged a drum sander out of a couple of tins and some wet/dry paper but I just couldn't get the worst of the scratches out. To be honest, I gave up in the end partly because it's just a cheap blade but also because it actually looks a lot beter in real life - the photos seem to exaggerate the scratches. My neighbour was delighted with it. Thanks for the comments - very much appreciated.

Well I think it's just spectacular!! Well done

Cheers,

J

Raven Mad,

Good to see you took my comment in stride it was meant to help not hinder your future efforts . when you are having an issue with scratches left from sandpaper say from 100 grit and you are using 320 you might want to back up to a 150, 220, 300, and ect. to get rid of the scratches from the last paper used . it applies to bone ,stone,metal,and wood . it should help you in the next Blade you do . also sand in an X or cross pattern to rid the last grit before moving on to the next grit paper .

Well Done on the Knife Forge on and Make Beautiful things.