Quantcast
Hand Held Reciprocating Saw for Butchery?

Thread: Hand Held Reciprocating Saw for Butchery?

Hand Held Reciprocating Saw for Butchery?

Greetings,
    Looking to develop some custom meat fabrications that I can play around with before requesting them from our lamb purveyor. I need to be able to cut lamb bones but do not want to invest 3K or the floor space for a band saw. Looking to do things like splitting the spine, squaring off the ball joint to facilitate removal of marrow, etc. I realize that this may qualify me as a psychopath but has anyone tried this with a hand held reciprocating saw? Obviously safety precautions like clamping the meat in place, eyeware, etc would be followed. Basically looking for a cheap, effective implement...any suggestions?

Why not just a hand saw? Much cheaper and safer.

We tried with the hand saw and couldn't get the cuts as clean and as straight as we wanted.

Dont see why not but it will be hard to keep sanitary and you would need some long blades which can be a bit flexi.Great idea -i will be interested to see how it works.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Was the hand saw you tried a bone saw? A true bone saw would make a big difference.
    I think a reciprocating saw would be really wonky and really unsanitary.
    You could just get a super cheapo bandsaw and throw it away....................

..............good luck disposing of the corpses.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I've used one. It was one hand operated. I abandoned the method quickly. This is a craftsman C3 line. Way better for this than the two hand operated ones.

What is more overkill the power saw or double fisting coffee and an energy drink?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Milwaukee make a pretty inexpensive band saw that we use a lot doing electrical work. I was able to use it one handed but I would think it would be easy to put in a clamp if you needed both hands free. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6242-6

I use a sawzall for doing deer in the garage, dont know how I feel about it in a professional kitchen tho..

I have used a Sawzall before, I did not find it terribly effective and switched to a hand/hack saw.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I've used a sawzall to split deer too and it works great. Only thing is you either need to find raw blades, or find a way of taking the paint off of regular blades. I like to split them and keep the chine on the loin - makes a great French rack. We also cook the ribs in foil on coals - we have delicious venison around here.