Quantcast
i see pro-chefs..splashing hot cooking oil over cooking food with spoon..........
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: i see pro-chefs..splashing hot cooking oil over cooking food with spoon..........

i see pro-chefs..splashing hot cooking oil over cooking food with spoon..........

you know the move.

searing food in grease..tilt pan, to pool up oil..take spoon and splash the cooking food with the oil..

why? does it cook the food differently? what does it do that is so different that simply flipping the food over?

i'm guessing there is a French word that describes this technique. i never do this as a home cook..should i learn it?

I think it's a Chinese technique.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Basting. It's not just oil, there's lots of butter involved.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    I think it's a Chinese technique.
    Seriously? I'm Chinese. And apparently clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Basting. It's not just oil, there's lots of butter involved.
    This. Good example is when you sous vide protein. Just before service cook on high heat with butter, thyme etc.

It helps cook the product from the top as well, crisps the skin, etc. 350+ deg F oil poured overtop of you repeatedly will do that. I have seen it done while deep frying meats in the wok for Chinese dishes, and also for western-style pan frying..

Quote Originally Posted by boomchakabowwow View Post
    you know the move.

searing food in grease..tilt pan, to pool up oil..take spoon and splash the cooking food with the oil..

why? does it cook the food differently? what does it do that is so different that simply flipping the food over?

i'm guessing there is a French word that describes this technique. i never do this as a home cook..should i learn it?
    its referred to as basting....

the difference between basting and "just flipping it over" is that flipping it over would be applying much more heat. your getting the heat from the bottom of the pan as opposed to the heat of the oil and the butter. you've likely already flipped whatever meat over once, and this is just finishing it. crisping it up a bit and giving it a nice crust and added flavor.
    “A home cook who relies too much on a recipe is sort of like a pilot who reads the plane’s instruction manual while flying.” – Alton Brown

Great way to finish proteins in a pan, add butter, and flavor - and to caramelize the outside or a steak for example (including sides that don't touch pans). A little more flavor and crustiness is never a bad thing on a steak, particularly one cooked in a pan.

It's called butter basting. It allows the flavor to soak all the way through the meat and also keeps it very moist.

i was hoping for a fancy french word..

haha.

maybe Le basting?
    thanks..so it is a flavor vehicle, and crisp maker. got it.