Value question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I previously owned a much loved Konosuke blue #2 270mm kiritsuke style Yanagi and am looking for a replacement knife. Wondering if anybody owns or has seen this knife before, if I'm gonna spend that much I'm wondering if it's worth it or if I should just get a less expensive one and rehandle/ custom saya post purchase. Any opinions welcome ... I'm new be easy on me XD

http://echefknife.com/honyaki-yanagi-kiritsuke-mirror-finished-honyaki-yanagai.html

Do you need/understand the honyaki aspect of this purchase (given you've said you're new)? Yoshihiro is a reputable maker but honyaki may or may not be something you need especially given how you've said you are new. Buying honyaki can be related to performance but generally in my experience a good part of it really comes down to collector value and appreciation of a classic art.

For less money you could get a Suisin Hayate (~$8xx) or Suisine Hayate Light ($4xx) in hon-kasumi blue #2 in your Kiritsuke Yanagi shape. You could also consider Kenichi Shiraki blades in white #1 or the (Gesshin) Hide knives in blue #1 for kiritsuke Yanagi.

There are other alternatives out there in the kiritsuke yanagi form and lesser money assuming you're not stuck on getting the honyaki.

Why do you want that knife? And, do you have the knowledge and tools to properly maintain and sharpen such a knife?

I'm stuck on this being a "value question" coming from a retail storefront in Beverly Hills...?

To me, that's a pretty crazy amount to spend on a knife. (And I am someone who has spent what I'm sure most of my friends and family consider to be a crazy amount on knives.) I think if you are contemplating spending $1250 on a knife, you should be pretty clear about why you are willing to spend that much, and why you want any particular knife over another.

It's hard to give input without knowing much about you, either. I hope this doesn't come across as tough on you--that is not at all my intention. What is it about that knife that appeals to you? What other alternatives are you considering?

I am a line cook at a busy restaurant in Winnipeg I will be slicing lots of boneless meats and some tuna, I loved my previous knife for this purpose but one of my co-workers walked off with it I will be receiving some money towards my next knife from insurance ergo I have a bigger budget.
Sharpening is my hobby I have had much practice on single bevel knives and while not perfect I do think I can sharpen any knife given the appropriate level of attention and care.
Honestly I found that knife through google haha but I was looking up yoshihiro and couldn't find any other kiritsuke style yanagi besides the Damascus one Damascus isn't my thing.
I like kiritsuke yanagi style knives because I like the look better than the curved tip of a yanagi and I think they're a little more unique. In terms of cutting they're very comparable.
I came here so I can find advice on a great blade that's a little unique for a reasonable $$ value :) given the breadth of experience of the users.

Do you need/understand the honyaki aspect of this purchase (given you've said you're new)? Yoshihiro is a reputable maker but honyaki may or may not be something you need especially given how you've said you are new. Buying honyaki can be related to performance but generally in my experience a good part of it really comes down to collector value and appreciation of a classic art.

For less money you could get a Suisin Hayate (~$8xx) or Suisine Hayate Light ($4xx) in hon-kasumi blue #2 in your Kiritsuke Yanagi shape. You could also consider Kenichi Shiraki blades in white #1 or the (Gesshin) Hide knives in blue #1 for kiritsuke Yanagi.

There are other alternatives out there in the kiritsuke yanagi form and lesser money assuming you're not stuck on getting the honyaki.

Thanks I'll look into those knives :)

If you're mainly looking for the shape, kiritsuke yanagi is just a twist on one of the traditional three.

Try aframes tokyo online shop under kiritsuke - I think he offers a ton of kiritsuke yanagi/sakimaru tako if those variations are up your alley. prices even more reasonable and his stuff is all decent.

Honyaki knives are pretty time consuming to sharpen and require a bit more care in usage and handling... in return you mainly get slightly better edge retention with the higher HRC. because you'll be sharpening an extra long time, you also want to be a very comfortable sharpener as well. honyaki in itself also generally warrants double the price of kasumi/honkasumi knives... I would avoid unless there's something specific to honyaki you want. Honyaki is often a ceremonial gift for collecting purpose in Japan for chefs - not really performance or bang for buck driven.

If you're mainly looking for the shape, kiritsuke yanagi is just a twist on one of the traditional three.

Try aframes tokyo online shop under kiritsuke - I think he offers a ton of kiritsuke yanagi/sakimaru tako if those variations are up your alley. prices even more reasonable and his stuff is all decent.

Honyaki knives are pretty time consuming to sharpen and require a bit more care in usage and handling... in return you mainly get slightly better edge retention with the higher HRC. because you'll be sharpening an extra long time, you also want to be a very comfortable sharpener as well. honyaki in itself also generally warrants double the price of kasumi/honkasumi knives... I would avoid unless there's something specific to honyaki you want. Honyaki is often a ceremonial gift for collecting purpose in Japan for chefs - not really performance or bang for buck driven.

Thanks for the info I was totally in the dark about that, thanks for your help ill come back and post when I order the knife I decide on .

What am I missing here?
Who's in Beverly Hills?

The Official Yoshihiro North American distributor.

On the topic at hand. Linecooksharpener, fill out the questionnaire so we can better help you towards a suitable purchase for your needs.

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Are you right or left handed?

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I know several Japanese sushi chefs here in LA that exclusively use honyaki yanagibas for service.

I am a line cook at a busy restaurant in Winnipeg I will be slicing lots of boneless meats and some tuna, I loved my previous knife for this purpose but one of my co-workers walked off with it I will be receiving some money towards my next knife from insurance ergo I have a bigger budget.
Sharpening is my hobby I have had much practice on single bevel knives and while not perfect I do think I can sharpen any knife given the appropriate level of attention and care.
Honestly I found that knife through google haha but I was looking up yoshihiro and couldn't find any other kiritsuke style yanagi besides the Damascus one Damascus isn't my thing.
I like kiritsuke yanagi style knives because I like the look better than the curved tip of a yanagi and I think they're a little more unique. In terms of cutting they're very comparable.
I came here so I can find advice on a great blade that's a little unique for a reasonable $$ value :) given the breadth of experience of the users.

Your coworker took your previous knife, and now you're considering bringing an over $1,000 knife to work?

Jon at JKI has some nice yanagibas .For someone cutting at work.A quality carbon sashimi knife is what you need.You do not have to spend a fortune.Even JKI gesshin uraku 270-300mm white steel Octagon handle yanagiba is a good buy.Usually ones at this price are not as nice as the gesshin.

A-Frames is also good for sashimi knives,however most of his medium price are sold out.I bought two med price yanagi's fr. him over the years,both were great blades.

I would try as mentioned kirit. knives on A-Frames see what he has in stock

Your coworker took your previous knife, and now you're considering bringing an over $1,000 knife to work?

One day I left them in my locker and forgot to lock it... They come home with me everyday now unfortunately not everybody is trustworthy, still not gonna stop me from wanting an excellent knife.

Canada

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Single bevel kiritsuke Yanagi

Are you right or left handed? Right handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese handle

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
270mm-300mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Rather spend less than 1000$

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
At work

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing boneless meats/ fish

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Konosuke kiritsuke yanagi 270mm blue#2

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better fit/ finish , more even grind.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I like a darker handle but I am open to suggestion

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Rounded spine and choil/ mirror polish

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

bamboo and maple

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Always

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

Gesshin hide 300mm blue #1 kensaki style yanagi looks like a great buy to me has anybody used knives from this line ? I've seen only good reviews so far.

Nice looking knife.Always used traditional tipped yanagiba's.Like the looks of the kensaki style.E-Mail or call Jon,both JKI & A-frames sell quality single bevel Japan blades.

While I haven't used a yanagiba in the over $500 range, I've used various single bevel knives, including several yanagibas, and own the standard 270 Gesshin Hide Blue #1 yanagiba. It's the best performing yanagiba I've used and one of the nicest single bevel knives I have. Only the Suisin Inox Kamagata Usuba I have has comparable fit and finish. It's, by far, a better performing knife than my Masamoto Tsukiji White #1 300 mm yanagiba I have.

Back