Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Material for strop backing

Material for strop backing

I've got some leather I'd like to try to make a few strops out of. I've had this stuff for ages, and I just figured I'd eventually run into a material of some sort I could glue it on, and presto, I've got a strop. This hasn't seemed to work out. My trouble is I'm worried about getting something that's suitably flat and that will not warp. This has made me rule out the wood in my hardware store. Strops I've bought in the past have come with a flexible rubber backing that seems to work ok, but I haven't been able to find any of it around either.

Anyone have any ideas on a substance I could use, and better still where I could procure some?

1/2" acrylic 3x12" will be perfect.
    Also thick wood will not warp

Medium density fiberboard will work well and is easily obtained at the Borg (Home Despot).
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I ordered a few sheets of nylon from two sources - Amazon and a surplus-materials-dude on ebay. None of the sheets were actually flat, and it was a PITA to sand down the nylon. But it's great stuff, and you can get away with a really thin backing that won't warp, down to 1/4" even.

How about a magnet, like Ken's, available at craft stores for dirt cheap. I have been using them on balsa attached with gorilla glue.

All good suggestions, thanks.

I'm intrigued by this magnet suggestion. Is there a pic or something somewhere of Ken's magnet?

Otherwise I'll probably go with whichever of the other options I can find quickest. Or maybe I'll try them all and make a few, see which works best.

Sorry, I meant keith from Hand America. You can check out his stropping supplies at chef knives to go, although most are sold out. I don't have any of his leather, but the magnet on his felt pad works great.

Pretty sure Dave's wood bases have magnets for quick interchangability.

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningst...t-p/lhone1.htm

Thanks again.

contact cement to thick glass would make for the most flat & level. Note: not all leather makes for good Strops. Leather needs to not only be veg tanned but it must be flat & of & it has to be flat & of uniform thickness & consistency, most leather is not. Other things go into making a good strop, like compressing then exposing the cells of the leather.