Something new, a side project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
100_1468.jpg

So, in between heat treaing today, I was taking a few minutes for myself(kinda) and made up this prototype.
It something that I have not seen before, but has a story behind it.
I have twin daughters that are now eleven years old, and we have been watching a bunch of cooking shows.
They keep asking me when I will teach them to cook. I finally gave in a couple months ago and told them I would start when they got out of school.
I have been thinking about knives a lot lately(big surprise) but also knives for them. I only have 2 knives in my kitchen, and both are pretty big. I started thinking about a knife that they could handle. They also both have tiny hands. So I started thinking about a paring knife for them, but thinking about Dawn, who is the family klutz, with a sharp pointy knife gives me the shivers.
I also want them to know how a knife with a convex grind feels to use. So I used as my inspiration both my paring knife and the nakiri. I know its not as tall in proportion as a nakiri, but it has enough height for me to make a convex blade. It will also be made of slightly thinner stock.
The one pictured above has a 100mm long blade and is 31mm high. It is a bit over 8 inches long.

There are a couple of things I would like to hear, but let me say I am pretty happy with the way this looks and feels, so I'll be making a couple of these for my daughters.
Most of you guys know Japanese knives way better than I do, is there a similar knife in that pantheon?
Id like to have something to call this design.
Or is it different enough that I can just call it what I want? If so any ideas for a catchy name. I thought about naming it after one or the other, but Then the other one is jealous forever. Maybe the Gemini, that was about the best I could come up with.
For those of you with paring knives, this will have the same handle, just a different blade style and shape.
Than brings me to my final question, should I make more than two of these, or is this design a total loser?
Thanks,
Del

now back to work :viking:

That's awesome!! , reminds me of my konosuke child nakiri

Chibi (small person, child) + Ealy = Chibealy??? or maybe chibiri.

no matter what you call it I like it, and can think of many uses

Awesome del. Im in for one if you decide to make more then the two for your girls.

Could call this a Parkiri?

Love it, this would be perfect for my 10 yr old son who wants to get involved with Daddy on the kitchen.

I think it's an awesome idea. I want to get my boys their own special knife for when they're ready to help mommy instead of making messes for mommy lol. They both love to "cook"

The name is easy - Ko-Nakiri :)

But I agree with bill on the handle - as shown in the picture the tank is as tall as it would be in a "normal" knife with western handle (this guess is based on the information that the blade is 31mm tall).

The name is easy - Ko-Nakiri :)

But I agree with bill on the handle - as shown in the picture the tank is as tall as it would be in a "normal" knife with western handle (this guess is based on the information that the blade is 31mm tall).
The handle would have the same dimensions as Del's parers (If I understood Del's explanation correctly). A handle with those dimensions would be great for a kid to use imho.

I'll post a reference pic in a day or two, I have a dead modem, so I'm writing from Burger King today.
Del

Back