3rd attempt on rehandling Hattory HD petty

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icanhaschzbrgr

ill-Known Member
Reaction score
Along with Fujiwara FKM, this Hattory HD 120mm petty was among my first Japanese kitchen knives. I liked fit and finish on Hattory but but performance wise I always preferred Fujiwara. So I decided to rehandle it and use as gift for relatives or friends. Back then I had no materials to be used for spacers and pins. So just a basic wooden handle.

13006844275_cea460d4af.jpg

To say the truth, it wasn't better then original handle, but I was pretty happy with it back then. Later I rehandled Fujiwara and it came out much better. So I decided to make another handle for Hattory.

13006451383_20e5f9e195.jpg

Second version featured Karelian Birch burl, curved "ferrule" and some spacers. I liked the style, but there were few quite serious mistakes and I knew I could do better. So I knocked it off and started from scratch.

13005493695_7907c6e687.jpg

I decided to try converting it to WA because original length was quite small even for my small hands. So for the third attempt I used remains of gidgee block from Konosuke rehandle. But I made a different, more glossy finish. And used a very controversial spacer.
I love the look of gidgee here. But that spacer… I have no idea what I was thinking about when designed this.
With this handle the knife became feather light. And longer handle feels better in hand. But that spacer…

13005878654_a7d4431ee6.jpg

13005878844_04eeccc0a3.jpg

I'll leave it for another week or two and decide if this handle will stay or be replaced with something less controversial.

It's definitely 'different', it reminds me of a Licorice Allsort:biggrin:
It's good to try different things, I am the same as you and can't decide what to make of it, one minute I think 'yes' and one minute 'no', I like black and yellow together on most things, maybe call it your 'Hattori Wasp':)

Hattory Wasp is a nice name indeed!
I was thinking of posting photo into Dave's "what's wrong with wa makers", but decided not to add heat to that thread :)

Hattory Wasp is a nice name indeed!
I was thinking of posting photo into Dave's "what's wrong with wa makers", but decided not to add heat to that thread :)

Yeah I think that one might raise his blood pressure a little:biggrin:

If you take it off i might want to take it of your hands. PM me if you do.

Id leave it on if I were you, very pretty handle!

Yellow would definitely not be my first or second choice, but it works well enough. Looks a bit like color coding knives for different purposes....so just make an entire set of "interesting" colors.

Back