suehiro gokumyo dual density series?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So it finally arrived, good size. The dense side is extremely thin but is said to be nearly dish-free so might even last longer than the soft side. Pretty excited to try it out, hoping it cuts fast and still has good feedback!

also picked up the suehiro deluxe stone holder. Its remarkably nicer than the standard two prong one I've been using. Get what you pay for on this one.

Will let you know when I put it to use, but my current comparable stone is gesshin 600. also considered jns 800 but I really wanted a more aggressive grit @ 600. really really enjoy feedback of chosera 400 but it's far too slow for me. My other coarse stone is suehiro cerax 320 which I think is a hidden gem for dirt cheap. Have sigma select II 240 which is the fastest I have used but feels terrible, not as bad as dmt tho.

to my surprise, the 'hard' side of the stone has even better feedback than the 'soft' side. it feels dense with a clean response, not much pressure necessary. so far i am liking it.

These are a really interesting looking line of stones.

Are you soaking it? If so -- or not--, how thirsty is it? How would you compare the speed and feel to a Gesshin 400 or JNS 300 if you've tried either?

soaked for half an hour, and it holds water pretty well, the soft side will build up mud and get a little pasty if not refreshed with water every so often, but it's very manageable. it raises a burr quickly and i'd say the speed is good, gessh 600 is slightly faster. less aggressive than the JNS 300 with smoother feedback, leaves a pretty consistent scratch pattern that does not dig in deep like you would expect a 600 grit stone to. have not tried a gessh 400 yet, but will get an opportunity soon.

Back