Tukiji Masamoto Yanagi Knives (Not sure if blue or white steel)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vivinuno

Reaction score
I recently purchased 2 Tukiji Masamoto Nami Kasumi Yanagi knives. i asked for carbon steel. I purchased them both in 2 different trips at the same place Tukiji Masamoto in Japans fish market, they look a little different one is shinier and it has a stamp on the back the other one is not as shiny and no stamp on the back. Wondering if one is blue carbon steel and the other one white. Please help me determine that. I think white steel is better is that correct ?

Hmm, sometimes knives have stamps 白 for white and 青 for blue, though I think that is uncommon. Otherwise, there's no way to tell except unless, maybe, you can guess from the performance. As to which is better, well, blue steels are often up to 50% more in Japan in my experience and I think are thought of as 'better'. However, it depends on what you like. Other people could tell you more about the different steels than I can, so I'll let someone else chime in.

lots knives of Tukiji Masamoto don't have stamps for steel type
if you remember the price.... 270mm / 300mm

blue#1 mirro finished 23,100 円 / 28,350 円
blue#1 kasumi finished 19,425 円 / 23,625 円
white#1 kasumi finished 16,275 円 / 18,900 円
white#3 kasumi finished 14,175 円 / 16,800 円

Can you provide pictures?

For my Tsukiji Masamoto knives they carved the paper colour on the backside.

White is considered to sharpen easier while blue considered to have better stain resistance and edge retention. Some makers offer them for the same price, some do not.

Can you provide pictures?

For my Tsukiji Masamoto knives they carved the paper colour on the backside.

White is considered to sharpen easier while blue considered to have better stain resistance and edge retention. Some makers offer them for the same price, some do not.
Tukiji Masamoto only make blue#1, white#1/#2 Honyaki Yanagi Knives & blue#1, white#1/#3 Kasumi Yanagi Knives. I'll guess yours are blue#1 & white#1 Kasumi yanagiba,,,,,,they could be same price when blue#1 is on sale.

Tukiji Masamoto only make blue#1, white#1/#2 Honyaki Yanagi Knives & blue#1, white#1/#3 Kasumi Yanagi Knives. I'll guess yours are blue#1 & white#1 Kasumi yanagiba,,,,,,they could be same price when blue#1 is on sale.

When I went to Tsukiji Masamoto in Dec. 2011, I was told by people there that they did not sell any White #2 knives, only White #1. I bought a White #1 300 mm yanagiba there. IIRC, it doesn't have a white steel stamp. I'll take a look tonight to verify, but I'm almost positive it doesn't have a stamp.

When I went to Tsukiji Masamoto in Dec. 2011, I was told by people there that they did not sell any White #2 knives, only White #1. I bought a White #1 300 mm yanagiba there. IIRC, it doesn't have a white steel stamp. I'll take a look tonight to verify, but I'm almost positive it doesn't have a stamp.

Tsukiji Masamoto only made white#2 Honyaki Yanagiba, white#2 is not available for Kasumi yanagiba.

"築地正本 本焼柳刃庖刀-本焼製品となり、白紙2号を使用。水牛柄入り。"
270mm: 39,375 円 300mm: 45,150 円
(Tsukiji Masamoto Honyaki Yanagiba- Honyaki, White#2。Water Buffalo Horn handle。)

for what its worth, the blue steel ones i've seen have 青 (blue) stamped on the back... i've got 3 of these in my personal collection fwiw

Back