Quantcast
"simple stainless gyuto" - what would be your pick? - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "simple stainless gyuto" - what would be your pick?

hiro AS is carbon not stainless..

carbonext is thin and narrow, i would not consider it a workhorse.

tanaka g3 is excellent steel, but fit & finish is rather horrible, it's a good workhorse but be prepared to get some work done, it is definitely not thin like the blue#2 version (a good thing if you can thin it yourself). i owned both at one time.

aeb-l takes a nice edge but retention is lacking (speaking from experience with dt itk)

for simplicity and not much work needed, i like the mac pro recommendation, the handle is quite good.

Hiromoto G3

Geeshin Gonbei comes in at half your budget and was specifically designed by Jon to be a tough western workhorse. How can you go wrong?

Konosuke has a stainless line that will probably run you less than $200 equivalent for a Gyuto if you don't need anything fancy on the handle or finish. They're offered by quite a fair number of sellers and even sell direct depending on where you're located.

Konosuke has a stainless line that will probably run you less than $200 equivalent for a Gyuto if you don't need anything fancy on the handle or finish. They're offered by quite a fair number of sellers and even sell direct depending on where you're located.

Konosuke stainless is a laser, not a workhorse.

Wow, thanks. I appreciate your help.

HHH knives - very high on my list. I have already exchanged some PMs with RANDY. His production gyutos look nice (blade not too tall, and amazing handles).

JKI knives - I am in contact with Jon. He has some interesting looking knives (including Ginga, Gonbei, Uraku, Kagero, Kochi) - I am in the process of figuring out what to expect there.

dibs on the $300 dt itk. i'll take 2.
    OK, I may have been a bit too optimistic

Mac Pro - the weight I have found for 240mm gyuto is 350g (!?) - that is way too much. Apart from that - wold the knife perform any better than the sub $200 offers from Jon?

Tanaka Gisanko - sounds interesting, but bad F&F does not sound too inspiring. Would the knife be worth having custom handle made (the original looks, uhm, not great) ? Maybe that could be an option.

One comment concerning the western handles - I really like the shape like HHH gyutos have (or the lovely custom Rodrigue available at the B/S/T). It seems that most production japanese western handled knives (pretty much irrespective of their price or quality) have all very similar uninspiring handles. This may sound naive, but these 'all looking the same' black handles (just like the one on our MAC pro bread knife) just scream to me 'rehandle' ...

mac pro definitely doesnt weigh 350 grams. its a light/medium light weight knife as far as western handled knives go.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post

carbonext is thin and narrow, i would not consider it a workhorse.

Thin and narrow? 2.4 mm spine (same as the Tanaka ginsanko you recommend) and 47 mm at the heel. Maybe the one you handled wasn't near stock?
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”