Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tojiro 170 mm western Deba

Tojiro 170 mm western Deba

Has anyone used this smaller western Deba knife and where can you get one? I want to use the knife for heavy work, like splitting lobster tails.
    The only place that I have found online for this size is Chubo, and they ship from Japan. I have no experience with them and welcome any feedback or suggestions.
    I would like a smaller western Deba for shellfish like lobster, and smaller freshwater fish. I would prefer to spend no more than perhaps $130-140, and want a good stainless for this. I would be willing to consider alternatives, especially if the steel is clad in stainless.

For $130 you can just get a 240mm tojiro yodeba. For a bit less you can just get the 210mm.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

i have a 240 as well. its great, if you have a use for it.

That size seems on the jumbo size for, say, splitting a whole lobster or a lobster tail. What do you use a 240 deba for? I have been scouring this website, and most recommendations are for smaller ones, unless you are working with big saltwater fish. How has yours done for you?

Amazing video. I have never been able to deal with lobster or chicken that fast. What would the food gods say about using a Deba to break down a chicken...was that a deba or a heavy chef's knife?

Thanks. It's the tojiro DP 240mm yodeba(western) double bevel, basically a really thick and heavy chef knife. About 5.5mm at the spine.

I ordered the Tojiro 210 western deba. I figured that even if a little longer than I need, the weight is like that of a single bevel deba. I hope it holds up to heavy cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Arty View Post
    I ordered the Tojiro 210 western deba. I figured that even if a little longer than I need, the weight is like that of a single bevel deba. I hope it holds up to heavy cutting.
    The only reason I bought it was to beat the **** out of stuff with it.

I got the Tojiro 210 Western Deba knife, and can verify that it is great for beating the xxxx out of stuff. I just used the Tojiro 210 Western Deba to split and break the shells of 8 lobster tails. It made the job much easier than using my old Case XX carbon steel butcher knife.
    This is one heavy duty tough knife, and the edge held up, with no visible damage. I expect that all the stories about chippy VG10 come from steel that is not properly heat treated, or edges that are ground too thin for heavy work.
    This is one fine beast of a knife!